honeylooloo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm retaking unit 1 and unit 2 of chemistry. I have already started revising, but I just want to know if it is possible to get at minimum a B, considering the fact that I will also have to sit my A2 chem this year aswell.
Has anybody had to do this before?
Alex621
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think it depends on why you're resitting them; if you didn't try hard enough last year then as long as you put the work in this year you should do ok, but if you tried your absolute hardest and still didn't do very well, there probably won't be a massive improvement this year. I don't know about Chemistry specifically but for Physics and Maths I found that after learning the A2 content, the AS stuff became a lot easier!
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing the same. I got a B at AS and I want an A at A2. I just got my past paper back from the summer and i went back through it and laughed at how easy it was compared to A2. Trust me you will be fine the topics are interconnected, unlike in something like biology or history.
TheGreatImposter
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So am I, since chemistry is mainly synoptic when you learn your A2, chemistry at AS will seem a lot easier

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fishhy34
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't worry I'm in the same position as you. You will realise your mistakes and you will be able to do it, my brother did it and now he's a doctor anything is possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ThePrestigeUK
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
August 2014 I got my AS chemistry results I got an odd the dot B , so 1 ums less I would of been on a C grade

So I resat both AS chemistry papers along with my A2 exams

August 2015 I got

In my AS exams I got
F321 - 92% very high A
F322 - 95% very high A
In my A2 exam I got
F324 - 87% almost A*
F325 - 91% which is an A*

But I missed out on the overall A* by a few UMS

tl;dr its more than possible, chemistry is hard at AS for loads of people and they quit, but if you carry it on and use good resources its just beautiful and pretty easy
Fishhy34
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ThePrestigeUK)
August 2014 I got my AS chemistry results I got an odd the dot B , so 1 ums less I would of been on a C grade

August 2015 I got

In my AS exams I got
F321 - 92% very high A
F322 - 95% very high A
In my A2 exam I got
F324 - 87% almost A*

tl;dr its more than possible, chemistry is hard at AS for loads of people and they quit, but if you carry it on and use good resources its just beautiful and pretty easy
Congratulations!!!
Can I ask you how you did it, as in if you have any revision tips ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bethaaaaany
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

August 2015 I got

In my AS exams I got
F321 - 92% very high A
F322 - 95% very high A
In my A2 exam I got
F324 - 87% almost A*

This is massively reassuring! I just about achieved a C in AS Chemistry (also on OCR A) and I'm planning on resitting F322 to hopefully bring my A Level grade up to a B overall - at the moment it's feeling a little unrealistic but I'm determined! Do you have any revision tips/resource tips?
ThePrestigeUK
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fishhy34)
Congratulations!!!
Can I ask you how you did it, as in if you have any revision tips ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemguide was the best website for my learning, the depth on there is so useful for recent exams , which are more complicated.

Chemrevise also have good notes
then general exam board text books
make your own notes

and do all past papers

It got me from being an almost C grade student at AS to almost A* by the end of A2
ThePrestigeUK
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bethaaaaany)
This is massively reassuring! I just about achieved a C in AS Chemistry (also on OCR A) and I'm planning on resitting F322 to hopefully bring my A Level grade up to a B overall - at the moment it's feeling a little unrealistic but I'm determined! Do you have any revision tips/resource tips?
Chemguide was the best website for my learning, the depth on there is so useful for recent exams , which are more complicated. Chemrevise also have good notesthen general exam board text booksmake your own notesand do all past papersIt got me from being an almost C grade student at AS to almost A* by the end of A2

resit f321 aswell it doesnt take long to revise, i only started few days before actual AS resit exam, and i smashedd it , its so easy after A2 . Just start early like now using my tips you will get an A/A*
Sahidaperveen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Im doing the exact same resits biol chem unit1 unit 2 and my a2 year i find working from the specification definitely helps heaps
Bethaaaaany
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Chemguide was the best website for my learning, the depth on there is so useful for recent exams , which are more complicated. Chemrevise also have good notesthen general exam board text booksmake your own notesand do all past papersIt got me from being an almost C grade student at AS to almost A* by the end of A2

resit f321 aswell it doesnt take long to revise, i only started few days before actual AS resit exam, and i smashedd it , its so easy after A2 . Just start early like now using my tips you will get an A/A*
Thank-you! I never found the textbook or class notes I was given were in depth enough for the exams so that's massively helpful. Can you remember how much you were charged for resits? I'd resit F321 as well, but it's a matter of whether it's affordable. I only really need a B grade anyway for the course I want to do, but every mark helps!
DeadEnd_96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Chemguide was the best website for my learning, the depth on there is so useful for recent exams , which are more complicated.

Chemrevise also have good notes
then general exam board text books
make your own notes

and do all past papers

It got me from being an almost C grade student at AS to almost A* by the end of A2
Did you do any "wider reading" or did you read around the subject for A level Chemistry?
ThePrestigeUK
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bethaaaaany)
Thank-you! I never found the textbook or class notes I was given were in depth enough for the exams so that's massively helpful. Can you remember how much you were charged for resits? I'd resit F321 as well, but it's a matter of whether it's affordable. I only really need a B grade anyway for the course I want to do, but every mark helps!
cant remember the exact amount, but if it will help you get a higher grade its definitely worth it imo
ThePrestigeUK
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DeadEnd_96)
Did you do any "wider reading" or did you read around the subject for A level Chemistry?
chemguide is further reading, start using it you will see that yourself

if you make notes make them detailed and try including example questions from other exam boards for the same specification points

Find a question thats similar to your exam boards past paper Qs ask your teacher if unsure.. whether something similar can appear and keep that in your notes
pineneedles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thanks for recommending 'Chemguide' It's really useful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (370)
67.27%
No (180)
32.73%

Watched Threads