Personal Statement for Multiple Courses? URGENT!!!!!

Watch
Reigisa0108
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

Would it be bad to write a personal statement for multiple degree courses?

I'm thinking of applying to:

Oxford for Biomedical Sciences (I'm aware of the closeness of the deadline....I've written the statement just don't know how to link all of these subjects together).
Imperial College London for Biomedical Sciences
Oxford Brookes for Biomedical Sciences
University of Bristol for Cancer Biology and Immunology
University of Nottingham for Genetics.

I worry that these courses are too different. I've looked into all of the course structures and they have at least one thing in common (i.e. all but one cover cancer biology/genetics in some way and all but one covers immunology at some point in the 3 year course) but I'm worried that having these as my choices would be detrimental to my application. My goal in life is to work as a cancer research scientist and I wonder how I can convey this with these chosen subject areas.

Thank you.

Idk if it helps but the work experience I've had is

2 weeks at the Royal Veterinary College (extracting DNA from cat blood, PCR etc)
2 weeks at UCL in their 'Lungs for Living Research Centre'
1 week at a GP.

I've also read 'How we live and why we die' by Lewis Wolpert and 'The Double Helix' by James Watson.

Thank you
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Moved to PS advice.

Biomed is a broad course that will cover areas such as cancer biol, immunology and genetics so talking about those will not hurt your application. Just don't mention any course by name. Please only mention relevant work experience. Work experience in a GP isn't relevant. What did you do at UCL that helped develop your interest in the subject? You don't need to talk about career plans. They're likely to change as are your interests as you go through your degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (641)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (809)
42.27%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.75%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.49%

Watched Threads