it has all gone wrong Watch

This discussion is closed.
The Saint
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi there,

I've got a couple of problems, and was hoping someone could suggest some options for me. I'm 19 and have just failed a Foundation Year at uni, which I got onto after failing all but 1 A-Level, ICT, in which i got a fabulous 'D'. I also have 2 AS-Levels, Physics 'C' and Photography 'C'. This was partly due to my school 6th form being one of the worst in the country and also my inability to pass anything since my GCSE's. Having to do that Foundation Year already means I'm a year behind most people my age. Unless I can convince my tutor to allow me to resit my foundation exams before the start of the next academic year, I will have to wait till next June to take them, wasting yet another year. I've been looking at some sites, such as that of Greenwich uni, and if i was very persuasive I might be able to get onto one of their clearing courses, although that's a long shot. Has anyone got any suggestions of what I can do? My foundation year was meant to lead to a BEng in Electronic Engineering, but strangely, while studying this year i seemed to really want to study Law. Although after all of this I am really confused and am questionning everything. I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks.
sympathy
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by The Saint)
Hi there,

I've got a couple of problems, and was hoping someone could suggest some options for me. ...Although after all of this I am really confused and am questionning everything. I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks.
It seems that you're not cut out for academia. Perhaps try something more practical/vocational, and be happy about not being cooped up inside?
Koloth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by The Saint)
Hi there,

I've got a couple of problems, and was hoping someone could suggest some options for me. I'm 19 and have just failed a Foundation Year at uni, which I got onto after failing all but 1 A-Level, ICT, in which i got a fabulous 'D'. I also have 2 AS-Levels, Physics 'C' and Photography 'C'. This was partly due to my school 6th form being one of the worst in the country and also my inability to pass anything since my GCSE's. Having to do that Foundation Year already means I'm a year behind most people my age. Unless I can convince my tutor to allow me to resit my foundation exams before the start of the next academic year, I will have to wait till next June to take them, wasting yet another year. I've been looking at some sites, such as that of Greenwich uni, and if i was very persuasive I might be able to get onto one of their clearing courses, although that's a long shot. Has anyone got any suggestions of what I can do? My foundation year was meant to lead to a BEng in Electronic Engineering, but strangely, while studying this year i seemed to really want to study Law. Although after all of this I am really confused and am questionning everything. I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks.
Have you thought about requesting a remark?

The best advice you could get on your options would be from a careers advisor and therefore I would highly recommend you see one to explain your situation.

Before going ahead with your plans, I suggest you ask try to answer these questions for yourself.

What job/career interests you the most?
What do I need to get there?
What subject interests you the most?
Are you good enough in this subject?
Are they subjects/careers really feasible for you?

Also perhaps taking a SWOT analysis of yourself to understand your situation and yourself better:
What are your strengths?
What are your weaknesses?
What are your oppurtunities?
What are your threats?

Once you have answered these questions truthfully, then perhaps you will know what to do next in relation to your problem. In the end no one here can really tell you what would be best for you to do. The decision you make needs to be something that you will be happy with.

Good luck.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
You could always re-take your A-Levlels.
I am 17 and have got my AS Levels.
I hated my current school and didn't really want to do the subjects I was doing, so I left.
I am now doing A-Levels from home in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Geography through the NEC (National Extension College).
Go to their website at www.nec.ac.uk
You can get all your A-Levels done by January if you want.
I've found that I can learn much more at home than at school.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (76)
17.31%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (281)
64.01%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.78%
Not yet but I might (61)
13.9%

Watched Threads