The Student Room Group

Most universities require grade B in GCSE Maths

So I'm looking at possible universities to apply for as part of my 5 choices through UCAS.

My qualifications:

Projected: D*D*D* in BTEC Level 3 IT Extended Diploma (I got maximum marks last year and I'm expected to do the same this year)

GCSE Maths: Grade C
GCSE English language: Grade C
GCSE English literature: Grade B

I also pass other GCSE's but those are the main ones.

I am looking to study Computer Science and for most universities U excel the BTEC/A-Level equivalent part but many require a grade B in GCSE Maths. Do I have time to re-sit maths this year or could I possibly re-sit maths next year at university? I'm not sure what to do so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:
I'm pretty sure most exam boards do GCSE maths resits in November, although I don't know if the deadline for entries has passed yet. If the application deadline for the universities you're looking at is 15 January (i.e. not Oxbridge), I suggest resitting the relevant exams in November and then applying with the improved grade in January.

However, if you're applying to Oxbridge where the application deadline is 15 October, then you'd be better off entering maths GCSE twice on the UCAS form, once with the original grade on and the second time leaving the grade as 'pending' so they know you're resitting to get it up to a B or better.

I'm not sure but I have a feeling that most universities might also ask for a B in English Language... You should check up with them.

Original post by LeeB96
Do I have time to re-sit maths this year or could I possibly re-sit maths next year at university? I'm not sure what to do so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 2
Computer Science as well as having its practical elements is a deeply theoretical subject and you generally need to demonstrate a certain standard of mathematic competancy to get onto the degree at a decent university.

I also did the IT BTEC Extended Diploma and got D*D*D* its great preparation for the programming and other computing units which do make up most of my degree but about a quarter of my degree is maths, I got a B at GCSE Maths however the maths in computer science wss still quite a big learning curve.

i would suggest to you to either retake GCSE or take the unit Mathematics for IT Practitioners as part of your BTEC or try and get on to AS level Maths this year and even if you get an E you would still have an AS level in Maths.

Alternatively, look at Computing degrees, a lot of the time they are just Computer Science without the maths, however top unis generally offer Computer Science (apart from Imperial who do BEng Computing)

Hope this helps
Original post by cjudge606
**** sake

This is a two year old thread about a specific course with a reasonably high amount of maths content.

Why have you bumped it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending