The problem of the lost labels?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Watch
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I HONESTLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO!!!!!!

My teacher gave us an experiment l and said we have to write a method for it . The experiment sheet says:

In this activity you will need to plan and carry out a sequence of test tube reactions to identify the ions present in a number of solutions. You will interpret your results to solve them.

A gardener has lost the labels of the chemicals. These chemicals are: ammonium chloride, ammonium sulfate, ammonium nitrate, copper (II) sulfate, iron (II) sulfate and sodium bromide.

You are provided the following solutions: Sodium Hydroxide, barium Chloride, Silver nitrate and lead nitrate. use these solutions to help you identify the solutions from the gardener.

I have to plan a sequence of tests, create a table, come up with predictions and observations.

I am so bad at experiments- I have no clue what to do! How do I do this???????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 1295084)
I HONESTLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO!!!!!!

My teacher gave us an experiment l and said we have to write a method for it . The experiment sheet says:

In this activity you will need to plan and carry out a sequence of test tube reactions to identify the ions present in a number of solutions. You will interpret your results to solve them.

A gardener has lost the labels of the chemicals. These chemicals are: ammonium chloride, ammonium sulfate, ammonium nitrate, copper (II) sulfate, iron (II) sulfate and sodium bromide.

You are provided the following solutions: Sodium Hydroxide, barium Chloride, Silver nitrate and lead nitrate. use these solutions to help you identify the solutions from the gardener.

I have to plan a sequence of tests, create a table, come up with predictions and observations.

I am so bad at experiments- I have no clue what to do! How do I do this???????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????
The solutions you are given do the following:

Sodium Hydroxide: Forms coloured precipitates with transition metals (Cu(II) =light blue, Fe(II) = green, Fe(III) = brown). White precipitates with main group (p block) metals.
Produces ammonia gas when heated with ammonium salts.

Barium Chloride: Gives a white precipitate with sulfates, sulfites, carbonates

Silver nitrate: Gives a white precipitate with sulfates, chlorides and carbonates
Gives a cream precipitate with bromides
Gives a yellow precipitate with iodides
Gives a light brown precipitate with hydroxides

Lead nitrate: Gives precipitates with sulfates, sulfites, carbonates, hydroxides. Black precipitate with sulfides. Bright yellow precipitate with iodides.

Now come up with a scheme ...
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by charco)

Sodium Hydroxide: Forms coloured precipitates with transition metals (Cu(II) =light blue, Fe(II) = green, Fe(III) = brown). White precipitates with main group (p block) metals.

Silver nitrate: Gives a white precipitate with sulfates, chlorides and carbonates

Lead nitrate: Gives precipitates with sulfates, sulfites, carbonates, hydroxides. Black precipitate with sulfides. Bright yellow precipitate with iodides.

Thank you: that was EXTREMELY helpful and for my method, would I have to test each solution with each of the given chemicals?

Also, do u know what kind of table I'd have to draw?

(Sorry for the abundance of questions)
Longshot700
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you: that was EXTREMELY helpful
You're welcome.
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you: that was EXTREMELY helpful and for my method, would I have to test each solution with each of the given chemicals?

No, the idea is that you CHOOSE a suitable reagent and then go either identifying or eliminating possibilities.

Consider the ions in the solutions that yo are trying to identify and then consider what would happen if one of the reagents were added.

You are trying to find the quickest and most efficient way to identify the unknowns.

For example, if you start with silver nitrate it will give a precipitate with most of the compounds, but not the nitrate ...
yheamiee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by charco)

Wdym scheme?? Cuz I just got this question and I’m sooo confused 😭😭😭😭
yheamiee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Do you remember your answer 😭😭if you do could you type it or like send it 🤷🏾*♀️pleaseee
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.5%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (176)
9.88%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.07%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.87%

Watched Threads