The Student Room Group

Edexcel Govt and Politics Unit 1 and 2?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxvine
i heard political ideologies is the best

My school doesn't do it because when they first offered the A-level in it, most people found the content really boring and ended up failing.

Also according to my teacher, the US modules fit in nicely after AS.

Not forgetting the COMPULSORY February Y13 trip to Washington too! :colone:
Reply 41
Original post by jamestg
My school doesn't do it because when they first offered the A-level in it, most people found the content really boring and ended up failing.

Also according to my teacher, the US modules fit in nicely after AS.

Not forgetting the COMPULSORY February Y13 trip to Washington too! :colone:

oh is it....so US is better to do? I am self teaching as I'm on a gap year and want an extra a-level.....and didnt know what to pick for A2!
Original post by xxvine
oh is it....so US is better to do? I am self teaching as I'm on a gap year and want an extra a-level.....and didnt know what to pick for A2!

I'd pick the A2 units based on what you're interested in. If you want to learn about different ideologies, go for it, but if you want to look at another political system - the US modules are good ones to do.
Original post by jamestg
Do the US Government and Politics for A2!

Yes James. I've decided to do the US option. But which books should I buy for A2 then?

Original post by xxvine
i heard political ideologies is the best

I've gone through the Ideologies syllabus. It is complicated. If you look at the specification and past exam questions, you will realise that the US options are pretty similar to Unit 1 and 2 of the AS component. The only difference is Unit 1 & 2 deals with Britain and A2 deals with America.
Reply 44
Original post by ~Seraphina~
Yes James. I've decided to do the US option. But which books should I buy for A2 then?

I've gone through the Ideologies syllabus. It is complicated. If you look at the specification and past exam questions, you will realise that the US options are pretty similar to Unit 1 and 2 of the AS component. The only difference is Unit 1 & 2 deals with Britain and A2 deals with America.

Are you doing AS and A2?

i am to do it in one year so better make my choice quick hahaha! I know some people who did Ideologies and not many people who did America so wasnt sure which way to go tbh

What books you use for America
Reply 45
Original post by jamestg
I'd pick the A2 units based on what you're interested in. If you want to learn about different ideologies, go for it, but if you want to look at another political system - the US modules are good ones to do.

how are you find america and what text books are you using?

since i am self teaching the easier units to learn make sense and i am thinking america is more interesting than ideologies
Original post by xxvine
Are you doing AS and A2? i am to do it in one year so better make my choice quick hahaha! I know some people who did Ideologies and not many people who did America so wasnt sure which way to go tbh.What books you use for America

I'll be doing both in a year as part of the fast track A levels. Why don't you browse through the textbooks for the different topics? Once you've made up your mind I suggest you start reading your chosen textbook straightaway and making those notes. Once you've done that then you can come here and discuss stuff. It is already coming to end of October. So time is not on our side. I have yet to find out which books to use for the American options that make up the A2 component.
Original post by jamestg

Original post by xxvine

since i am self teaching the easier units to learn make sense and i am thinking america is more interesting than ideologies

what chapters have you completed so far? I don't mind joining you guys for a discussion right here. Are you up for it?
Reply 48
I'll be doing both in a year as part of the fast track A levels. Why don't you browse through the textbooks for the different topics? Once you've made up your mind I suggest you start reading your chosen textbook straightaway and making those notes. Once you've done that then you can come here and discuss stuff. It is already coming to end of October. So time is not on our side. I have yet to find out which books to use for the American options that make up the A2 component.

Yeah time flies...for AS I am using the new Andrew Heywood book. It was recommended by a mate and he writes the exam! The McNaughton book is also good but the Heywood one has all the 2016 elections results etc...so its more up to date

for AS i plan to learn democracy, elections and pressure groups...
will do PM, Parliament and Constitution for Unit 2

I can't browse when I don't even know which text books you use for the A2!
Original post by xxvine
Yeah time flies...for AS I am using the new Andrew Heywood book. It was recommended by a mate and he writes the exam! The McNaughton book is also good but the Heywood one has all the 2016 elections results etc...so its more up to date
for AS i plan to learn democracy, elections and pressure groups...
will do PM, Parliament and Constitution for Unit 2
I can't browse when I don't even know which text books you use for the A2!

Can u take a look at this link and show me which book you actually bought?
http://www.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=andrew+heywood&searchRefined=1&page=1&searchSortBy=pubdate_high_low

Ok. why don't you take a week starting from tomorrow to read democracy and we can discuss about it here. I am certain James will join in with our discussions as he is very helpful and also intelligent in this subject. If i do find out which books to use for A2 I will let you know immediately.
Reply 50
Can u take a look at this link and show me which book you actually bought?
http://www.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=andrew+heywood&searchRefined=1&page=1&searchSortBy=pubdate_high_low

Ok. why don't you take a week starting from tomorrow to read democracy and we can discuss about it here. I am certain James will join in with our discussions as he is very helpful and also intelligent in this subject. If i do find out which books to use for A2 I will let you know immediately.

I bought the first one from the link....
Essentials of UK politics
Original post by xxvine
I bought the first one from the link....
Essentials of UK politics

ok. you still haven't answered me. would you like to join us in discussing here about the chapters in Unit 1?
Reply 52
ok. you still haven't answered me. would you like to join us in discussing here about the chapters in Unit 1?

Oh yeah....
Sorry I would love to! When are you starting A2?
Original post by xxvine
Oh yeah....
Sorry I would love to! When are you starting A2?

Let's focus on AS first shall we? so one week from now will you willingly come onto this thread to discuss on the chapters in AS?
Reply 54
Let's focus on AS first shall we? so one week from now will you willingly come onto this thread to discuss on the chapters in AS?

Yesssss

My school uses this textbook!
Original post by xxvine

what chapters have you completed so far? I don't mind joining you guys for a discussion right here. Are you up for it?

I haven't actually started any of the a2 yet, the bits I've said I've pretty much repeated off of my teacher :smile: I won't actually be doing America until next September!
Reply 56
Original post by jamestg
My school uses this textbook!

I haven't actually started any of the a2 yet, the bits I've said I've pretty much repeated off of my teacher :smile: I won't actually be doing America until next September!

huh so your AS?
Original post by xxvine
huh so your AS?

Yep, I think I said so but if I didn't - sorry!
For unit 1 you can get away with revising only two topics because you only need two to answer in the exam. Plus, no matter what two topic you chose to revise, they're not going to change. However, it's not recommended because you could have a really s*** question and you'll have to answer a topic you never revised. You don't have a choice in unit 2 because any topic could come up. You could get away with not revising every topic, but you''ll just have to pray that the topics you want comes up.
I got 2 As at AS level Politics (91 and 94 points). I studied all 4 Unit 1 topics to an extent- I looked at the political parties topic least because I found there to be too much study in it. I choose my 2 favourites (voting systems and democracy I think) and looked at these in depth, so any question that came up from them would be okay. This worked well for me in the exam. For Unit 2 I looked at all 4 topics, looking at the 'judiciary' topic least because I wasn't as interested in it. Looking at 3 topics is good because it is more than likely a combination will come up that you can work with. Luckily this worked in my favour in the exam and if you study them enough you can deal with any question :smile:
As for the questions themselves, there's various ways of approaching them. For the 5 mark questions its usually just a matter of defining the term and giving a couple of examples of it in the real world. It shouldn't be too long, just enough to show you know what it means. The ten markers should typically be split into 3 points according to my teacher, with 3 examples that you explain. For the 25 mark question, you typically have 5 points with an alternating for or against style (unless the question only asks for one side) and you need to include stuff like statistics and examples of incidents that back up your point. Thats what I did at AS, I hope it helps
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending