The Student Room Group

Edexcel Govt and Politics Unit 1 and 2?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by TheBNPkid
I got 2 As at AS level Politics (91 and 94 points). I studied all 4 Unit 1 topics to an extent- I looked at the political parties topic least because I found there to be too much study in it. I choose my 2 favourites (voting systems and democracy I think) and looked at these in depth, so any question that came up from them would be okay. This worked well for me in the exam. For Unit 2 I looked at all 4 topics, looking at the 'judiciary' topic least because I wasn't as interested in it. Looking at 3 topics is good because it is more than likely a combination will come up that you can work with. Luckily this worked in my favour in the exam and if you study them enough you can deal with any question :smile:
As for the questions themselves, there's various ways of approaching them. For the 5 mark questions its usually just a matter of defining the term and giving a couple of examples of it in the real world. It shouldn't be too long, just enough to show you know what it means. The ten markers should typically be split into 3 points according to my teacher, with 3 examples that you explain. For the 25 mark question, you typically have 5 points with an alternating for or against style (unless the question only asks for one side) and you need to include stuff like statistics and examples of incidents that back up your point. Thats what I did at AS, I hope it helps

what you learning for A2?
Reply 61
Hello.

I'm doing Unit 1 AS :smile:
We just finished talking about Democracy & political participation -_-
now we're doing political parties xD

I got a ''D'' for my essay on political participation and democracy apparently cause i wasn't using relevant terminology and the teacher said ''TO BE MORE OBVIOUS'' ? -_- everyone else got E's and F's , only a few people got a D like its a good thing ?

i lost a mark for saying '' Participation Crisis is the dwindling numbers of citizens politicallyparticipating in the UK that is threatening to erode the current democratic system ''
instead she wanted something more like '' Participation crisis is the dwindling numbers of citizens politically participating in the uk that is threatening the legitimacy of the government'' ?

-_- am i wrong here ?
Original post by Hurbad
Hello.

I'm doing Unit 1 AS :smile:
We just finished talking about Democracy & political participation -_-
now we're doing political parties xD

I got a ''D'' for my essay on political participation and democracy apparently cause i wasn't using relevant terminology and the teacher said ''TO BE MORE OBVIOUS'' ? -_- everyone else got E's and F's , only a few people got a D like its a good thing ?

i lost a mark for saying '' Participation Crisis is the dwindling numbers of citizens politicallyparticipating in the UK that is threatening to erode the current democratic system ''
instead she wanted something more like '' Participation crisis is the dwindling numbers of citizens politically participating in the uk that is threatening the legitimacy of the government'' ?

-_- am i wrong here ?

The reason why you lost that mark is because the democratic system we have will still function with a low turnout, in fact any democratic system will still work - there doesn't need to be a set number of people. What your teacher said is correct because low turnouts mean the government may not have a mandate to actually govern, thus threatening the legitimacy of the government. It's important to say threatening because it's open to interpretation.
Reply 63
Original post by jamestg
The reason why you lost that mark is because the democratic system we have will still function with a low turnout, in fact any democratic system will still work - there doesn't need to be a set number of people. What your teacher said is correct because low turnouts mean the government may not have a mandate to actually govern, thus threatening the legitimacy of the government. It's important to say threatening because it's open to interpretation.

You've got a point there !!!

Thanks .

what unit are you doing ?
Original post by Hurbad
You've got a point there !!!

Thanks .

what unit are you doing ?

No problem!

I'm doing the same AS units as you (because they're compulsory) and for A2 I'll be going the two US units!
Reply 65
You're from England right?

oh not bad .

xD you're also doing history haha
Weimer republic ?
Reply 66
I hit the A01 but my A02 was a bit off and my A03 was terrible LOL
she wrote use ''PERL'' i've never heard of such a thing ? i know PAnEL or PEEL but PERL? any ideas?
Original post by Hurbad
You're from England right?

oh not bad .

xD you're also doing history haha
Weimer republic ?

Yeah I'm from England but edexcel do US modules for the second year and they're much better apparently than ideologies

And yep, also doing history - it's actually really interesting learning about Germany 1918-89 and Fascist Italy!

Original post by Hurbad
I hit the A01 but my A02 was a bit off and my A03 was terrible LOL
she wrote use ''PERL'' i've never heard of such a thing ? i know PAnEL or PEEL but PERL? any ideas?

PERL??? Hmmmm...

Point, Evidence, Reason, Link?
Reply 68
its just another way of saying P.E.E.L then xD

You're lucky -_- we're doing Britain which is soo boring -_-
no doubt the german unit is interesting but honestly nothing interesting happened in britain after the parliament took power :/ I think for A2 we're doing the Tsart so hopefully thats going to be interesting :0

have you done any essays so far? for gov&politics?

are you doing business as well ?
Reply 69
Unit 2 is kinda scary

Parliament and PM seems a lot to take in? Is anyone using the Heywood book?
Reply 70
Original post by xxvine
Unit 2 is kinda scary

Parliament and PM seems a lot to take in? Is anyone using the Heywood book?

I'm using it but I'm doing unit 1 xD
Original post by Hurbad
its just another way of saying P.E.E.L then xD

You're lucky -_- we're doing Britain which is soo boring -_-
no doubt the german unit is interesting but honestly nothing interesting happened in britain after the parliament took power :/ I think for A2 we're doing the Tsart so hopefully thats going to be interesting :0

have you done any essays so far? for gov&politics?

are you doing business as well ?

I've done two essays so far and they've both turned out awful. On one I got 16/25 and the other 12/25...

I don't do business
Reply 72
Original post by jamestg
I've done two essays so far and they've both turned out awful. On one I got 16/25 and the other 12/25...

I don't do business

politics is quiet tricky

you only have 25 mins to write an essay and you have to include for and against in most cases
not enough time!
Reply 73
Original post by Hurbad
I'm using it but I'm doing unit 1 xD

How you finding it so far?
Original post by xxvine
politics is quiet tricky

you only have 25 mins to write an essay and you have to include for and against in most cases
not enough time!

I hate how the questions we've done have been worded and the mark schemes are REALLY vague.
Reply 75
Original post by jamestg
I hate how the questions we've done have been worded and the mark schemes are REALLY vague.

yeah true

deffo going to miss out on political parties and just learn democracy. elections and pressure groups

btw you know the A2 america book are you sure thats the book your teacher recommended? As I am self teaching don't want to buy the wrong thing and learn the wrong thing!

I think I am going to learn america over ideologies and ideologies seems quiet tricky tbh...did your teacher say the same thing?
Original post by xxvine
yeah true

deffo going to miss out on political parties and just learn democracy. elections and pressure groups

btw you know the A2 america book are you sure thats the book your teacher recommended? As I am self teaching don't want to buy the wrong thing and learn the wrong thing!

I think I am going to learn america over ideologies and ideologies seems quiet tricky tbh...did your teacher say the same thing?

I am 100% sure that's the book my teacher recommended.

I think it's more tedious and boring than difficult, with the U.S. modules you get a wider scope of what you learn.
Does anyone know where I can buy the fourth edition textbook (AS)at a cheaper price? Everywhere I've looked is expensive (Amazon has second hand ones for some ridiculous price of £900)!
Reply 78
Original post by aamirac
Does anyone know where I can buy the fourth edition textbook (AS)at a cheaper price? Everywhere I've looked is expensive (Amazon has second hand ones for some ridiculous price of £900)!

Ebay ?
well are you talking about the andrew haywood book?
Reply 79
Original post by xxvine
How you finding it so far?

I've covered democracy and political participation

It seems alright but the questions they ask are worded in away that even if you memorized the whole book youll doubt yourself lol
Edexcel doesn't want anybody passing :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending