The Student Room Group

Quick Polar Graph Question

Untitled.png

I understand their working out but if you sub the values 0, pi/2, pi, 3pi/2 and 2pi as theta you get r = to 4, 4root3/3, -4, -4root3/3 and 4 respectively but the graph they've drawing hasn't pass through all those points - why?
Original post by creativebuzz
Untitled.png

I understand their working out but if you sub the values 0, pi/2, pi, 3pi/2 and 2pi as theta you get r = to 4, 4root3/3, -4, -4root3/3 and 4 respectively but the graph they've drawing hasn't pass through all those points - why?

Which points doesn't it pass through? Remember that x = rcostheta and y = rsintheta, so taking 0 for example, rcostheta = x = 4 and rsintheta = y = 0, and it passes through (4,0).
Original post by SeanFM
Which points doesn't it pass through? Remember that x = rcostheta and y = rsintheta, so taking 0 for example, rcostheta = x = 4 and rsintheta = y = 0, and it passes through (4,0).

Yeah I understand that but it doesn't seem to pass through -4 when theta = pi, nor does it pass through -4root3/3 when theta equal 3pi/2
When theta = pi, rcostheta=-4 * -1 = 4. You expect the y value to be 0 again as in the case theta = 0, and rsintheta = -4 * 0 = 0 so (4,0) pops up again. I haven't checked but it should be okay for 3pi/2 as well.
Yeah I understand that but it doesn't seem to pass through -4 when theta = pi, nor does it pass through -4root3/3 when theta equal 3pi/2

On a polar graph, a negative value of r means going the other side of the pole, O.

So r = -4 when theta = pi is the same place as r = 4 when theta = 0. In order that each point has a unique pair of coordinates, the current convention is to ignore negative values of r.

On Autograph, these points are shown as a dashed curve. Graphical calculators tend to show them in the same way as positive values of r.
Original post by tiny hobbit
On a polar graph, a negative value of r means going the other side of the pole, O.

So r = -4 when theta = pi is the same place as r = 4 when theta = 0. In order that each point has a unique pair of coordinates, the current convention is to ignore negative values of r.

On Autograph, these points are shown as a dashed curve. Graphical calculators tend to show them in the same way as positive values of r.

If you're saying that we simply ignore all values of r which are negative then why is it when e.g. r=5 then we draw the point r=-5 to make a full circle, unless you're saying that you should draw all the values for positive rs and then reflect it?

I've attached an Autograph version of r = 1 + 3 cos theta so that you can see what I mean.
If you're saying that we simply ignore all values of r which are negative then why is it when e.g. r=5 then we draw the point r=-5 to make a full circle, unless you're saying that you should draw all the values for positive rs and then reflect it?

You've got to get the ideas of an x,y graph out of your head!

The point you are thinking of is where r = 5 and theta = pi. The curve r = 5 says that r = 5 whatever theta is.
Oh I see.

But for r^2 = a^2rootsin2theta

I found the range at which sin was positive

so that gave me 0 <= theta <= pi/2 and pi <= thea <= 3pi/2

so I made a table

theta, pi/4/ pi/2, 0, 5pi/2, 3pi/2

but when finding sin5pi/2 i got -root2/2 which is strange as I took the values where sin2theta were positive/ the midpoint of pi <= thea <= 3pi/2

Shouldn't that be 5pi/4?
Original post by tiny hobbit
Shouldn't that be 5pi/4?

Aha yeah I just noticed that after I posted it but thank you!

So am I supposed to ignore all values of theta that are negative or all values that r are negative.

Because I thought it was the former until I saw this example

Untitled.png
Aha yeah I just noticed that after I posted it but thank you!

So am I supposed to ignore all values of theta that are negative or all values that r are negative.

Because I thought it was the former until I saw this example

Untitled.png

Ignore values of r that are negative.

With regards theta, sometimes the range 0 to 2pi is used, and sometimes -pi to pi.

Quick Reply

Latest