The Student Room Group

'Electrosmog' aka Electromagnetic Fields (EMF) and Radiation (EMR) vs. Health

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
I used to think relatively highly of you... that is to say, I agreed with you on most points

However, now...

My parents were like you; except far left, rather than right wing

They believed the vaccine-autism BS - fortunately this was long after I was born, so didn't affect me.

Despite not having a scientific background, they decided they knew better than scientific consensus. They believed journalists and shady snake-oil-dealers than scientists, who were 'paid shills'.

They 'researched' the subject, ignoring all the scientific articles that disagreed with them, because they were 'clearly biased' and 'had vested interests' - rather ignoring the vested interests of the dodgy people who make a living out of selling 'protection' and 'treatments' for electrosmog. (If you want to read up on the various dodgy practices that some people employ - including pharmaceutical companies - they I'd recommend Ben Goldacre's Bad Science)

They were alarmed at how almost all the scientists were in the pocket of industry, and came to the conclusion that there was a conspiracy by the government and the military-industrial complex to force technology down our throats.

My father had issues with his bones (ankylosing spondylitis, AS), and, after some 'research', found out the 'real' cause of AS was too much starch in the diet.

They 'researched' some more, and started believing David Icke's conspiracy theories. How electrosmog was a conspiracy to turn us into weak-willed, ill, sterile zombies. The pharmaceutical industry was a key part of this conspiracy, because they were the ones who benefitted, by feeding us poisons disguised as treatments. Etc.

They came to the conclusion that global warming was again another setup by the government to control us with fear, and to implement population reduction programs.

Then my mother got cancer. She didn't seek treatment - cancer-treatment uses toxic chemicals and radiation, so the treatment is actually the most lethal part of getting cancer, right? :rolleyes:

So she took to 'natural' cures, 'alternative medicine' - homeopathy, reflexology, crystal healing, eating a diet of only raw vegetables.

Needless to say, she's dead now.

I warn you, the road you are going down leads only to insanity. Leave while you have got the chance.

To put it lightly, I'm really sorry to hear all of that.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Old skool cathode ray tube TVs do emit a little x-ray (ionising) radiation, but this is not generally what we mean by 'electrosmog' EMR

I wasn't referring to x-rays. I was referring to (non ionising) electromagnetic radiation with wavelengths between 390nm and 700nm, which has been known to cause psychological effects in people. There's a lot of evidence that most people can sense this radiation.
Reply 42
Original post by Mathemagicien

x

I've been lurking on this thread rather than posting lately, but I wanted to say I'm really sorry for your loss, and I'm glad you felt able to share your story.

I genuinely think a course in basic scientific method should be mandatory in schools - not just "how to use the scientific method to measure limpets" or whatever they do in Biology these days, but genuine critical thinking and developing an understanding of how scientific theory works. (I would personally pay Ben Goldacre to write the course materials.) It shouldn't wait until university - not everyone gets that far and everyone needs it.
Reply 43
Original post by Foo.mp3

...get some and test for yourself, as I have)
I’m sorry you had that experience but hope that you can see that it has zero bearing on my own, as a sceptical, cognizant adult who has tested himself in a number of environments blinded/unblinded/before learning of electro-sensitivity, and consistently experiences a range of fairly-to-very marked specific and non-specific symptom onset/enhancement

We discussed this previously and you agreed that personal experience of symptoms can't differentiate between psychological and biological sources. Unblinded assessment is of absolutely zero value due to potential confirmation bias, and even if your tests on yourself comprised valid scientific methodology (which they may - feel free to elaborate), individual case studies are of little significance. I'm curious how you came to perceive yourself as "sceptical" while accepting something as fact which anyone logical would question on the evidence available.

Out of curiosity, what kind of blinded tests did you conduct to remove the influence of your expectations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
I haven't been watching the forums much recently, but am I actually inside an episode of Better Call Saul?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Foo.mp3
You have been challenged in this thread, on point of fact, and have so far failed to respond, apparently preferring to "lurk"

Perhaps you'd have the decency to reply to the outstanding e.g. should you wish me to address your further comments/queries?

Haha ok, I didn't realise being tagged was a "challenge" and made it compulsory to respond. I did read your article when you posted it. Apologies if you're offended by my lack of reply.

Briefly then, this meta analysis contains few studies, has high heterogeneity between participants and studies, varied research methods, no accounting for important confounds and their suggested mechanisms are purely guessing. (The authors point all of this out except the last one, and in fairness they've done a transparent, apparently honest job with some poor material.)

Let's be generous and assume that phone use (not that all the studies actually used phones, but letting that slide) impairs sperm motility/viability. Well, for how long? It could be a temporary effect, there's no information to tell us. And even if it's not, an impairment to sperm motility/viability doesn't back up your claims of widespread physiological damage.

What you have here is "personal phone use may impair sperm motility/viability, but we didn't eliminate other potential causes so we can't say that for sure, and even if it is the case, we don't know if the effects are long term or even harmful". It's possible, but totally inadequate to justify your fairly extreme beliefs (and your attempt to sell your consulting services to those without the scientific mindset to look into the evidence themselves).

Hopefully honour is now satisfied, as I'm interested to hear about these blinded studies you say you conducted on yourself. As ever, I'm open to having my mind changed with good quality evidence.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Foo.mp3
That would be a bit silly now wouldn't it? No, I was referring to the following, outstanding challenges:

Spoiler

Not in the last bit offended, don't worry, just believe it important to set the record straight, particularly on a topic as serious as this :yy:

Not quite (see above)

Well now I'm confused, I answered this already.
[spoiler]
Original post by PangXie

a) What you said in the last post I responded to re. electrosmog being detrimental to various physiological systems (not specifically carcinogenic; I'm objecting to your presentation of electrosmog as definitively harmful in any way).

b) In this thread, you refused to accept the findings of Wessley and colleagues, purely on the basis that Wessley has a personal agenda which you can't prove affected his research findings. (And as long as we're source-bashing - "Microwave News"? Really? I mean if we're chucking sources out the plane due to personal bias, that website's going to be first in line for a parachute.)

c) The WHO experts who have dedicated their lives to categorising carcinogenic risk factors have said that electrosmog is "possibly" carcinogenic. If you say electrosmog is harmful, you're disagreeing with their opinion that there's not enough evidence to draw a conclusion.

In summary: the evidence is inconclusive and electrosmog is currently a question mark in terms of risk of any kind, so you shouldn't be advising anyone to make life choices based on it. Unless you want to tell people to avoid pickled vegetables and everything else on the "possibly carcinogenic" list, which would make for a very boring life.

Unless you want to claim that a) the medical profession en masse and WHO agrees with you (which we know they don't) or b) that you're not claiming there's a definite harmful effect of electrosmog (which you can't back up), I don't see what you're challenging. You are claiming to know better than those with more knowledge and understanding. You are claiming as fact something which the evidence doesn't (yet, possibly) support. What's your objection?

I also found myself wondering when I posted my last reply...I've said multiple times that I'm open to being convinced over to your side by reason and research. I wonder if you can say the same? Are you willing to give up your beliefs if the evidence isn't there?

Oh and also, on what grounds do you consider yourself a "health professional" as I've seen you call yourself? Just trying to get a sense of your medical/HCP background, if any.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SonOfTheGun
there is only 1 way to protect urself

Wouldn't this make the effect worse? Like when you wrap a jacket potato in tin foil before cooking it
Reply 48
Original post by Foo.mp3
You certainly are confused if you think you've already answered this request. I challenged you to provide quotes, in order to directly substantiate the ad hominems you attempted to level against me. These have, thus far, not been forthcoming. Do you refuse?

Spoiler

Ok, first one I came across, no effort required:

Original post by Foo.mp3
The experts are quite clear on the subtle and insidious harms that are going on every time we expose ourselves to microwave radiation (be it thermal intensity or otherwise). Slowly those responsible for public health, and particularly child wellbeing (e.g. in educational settings) are starting to wake up to this inconvenient truth

^In which you claim there are experts who have identified "subtle and insidious harms". Except they haven't, and you're directly contravening the WHO claims and the current established medical viewpoint, therefore claiming you know better than educated, informed experts who know a damn sight more than you or me.

And to repeat yet again, I'm objecting to you claiming any proven negative effect (not just carcinogenic). This is pretty pointless, I don't know why you're asking me to substantiate that you're disagreeing with the established medical view when you've yourself complained about them not agreeing with you (in fact in the above comment you imply that they are only starting to come around). Frankly this seems like trying to dodge the difficult questions by fixating on a pointless argument, but you wanted a quote and you got one. Can we move on and talk about something worth debating?
Reply 49
Interesting video on the nocebo effect (feat. electrosensitivity):

Original post by Foo.mp3
Say what you like about Fox News, God bless them for this: Fox News Covers Pediatric Academic Societies Symposium

As much I dislike Fox News,I'll give it a read. Thank you :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by Foo.mp3
News: Major Cell Phone Radiation Study Reignites Cancer Questions (Scientific American)

"Chronic exposure to [RFR] is associated with the formation of rare cancers in at least two cell types in the brains and hearts of rats"

"I would call it a causative study, absolutely. They controlled everything in the study. It’s [the cancer] because of the exposure."

Link: Study Info

Link: Study Findings

I'll wait for some proper peer reviews
I'd wait for proper peer-review, and I'd also note that they're talking about much higher exposure than anyone would ever actually come into in real life.

And actually also this within the table: Historical control incidence in NTP studies: 11/550 (2.0%), range 0-8%

When the variation in the control group of studies into this covers the observed instances in the experiment, drawing a conclusion of a causative effect is very poor science.
Original post by Foo.mp3
News: Major Cell Phone Radiation Study Reignites Cancer Questions (Scientific American)

"Chronic exposure to [RFR] is associated with the formation of rare cancers in at least two cell types in the brains and hearts of rats"

"I would call it a causative study, absolutely. They controlled everything in the study. It’s [the cancer] because of the exposure."

Interesting, although it's worth pointing out that this is a popular science release discussing a study that hasn't yet passed peer review. (Scientific American read a pre print not an accredited journal article.)

It's also interesting that there are several anomalies such as the fact that certain groups of radiation dosed rats had no statistical difference to the control group, and that for some reason dosed males had better overall life expectancy than those in the control group. (That second seems to be particularly suspect.)

There's also the issue of Peto's paradox. Rats aren't great for modelling cancer in humans for the same reason humans aren't great for modelling cancer in whales. For a number of reasons (some of which are not yet really understood, hence the paradox) larger organisms are inevitably substantially more resistant to cancers.

It may turn out that my concerns about the study are unfounded and this might be an important piece of research, however, although you don't expect perfect results in a large study, when they're this funky something is probably off.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3

"The findings are not definitive, and there were other confusing findings that scientists cannot explain—including that male rats exposed to the radiation seemed to live longer than those in the control group. "

So obtusely extrapolating the data from this study to humans means more people will develop uber rare cancers but in general the radiation will make men live longer. Good to know.
Original post by Foo.mp3
So if you had children sleeping in a room with e.g. a DECT base station next to bed, you'd just leave it in place until the 'proper peer-review'? :erm:

"..designed to roughly emulate what humans with heavy cell phone use or exposure could theoretically experience in their daily lives"

Could you paraphrase, please?

Id wait for possible evidence to actually be verified before making changes to my life for an illness to which all the evidence points to being psychosomatic, yes.

"Rats were exposed to GSM- or CDMA-modulated RFR at 900 MHz with whole body SAR exposures of 0, 1.5, 3 or 6 W/Kg". The manufacturer limit is 1.6W/Kg with most being down much lower than that, very poor emulation if that's what was intended (and of course it's still worth pointing out that mobile phone radiation is of such low intensity that it poses no real threat).

If your result falls within natural variation of the null values, then your result is almost certainly a false positive. To give an example, if I'm measuring sound while looking for something, and I record a normal background level of between 0 and 15 decibels, a recording of 12 decibels is most likely just background noise, not an actual result.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foo.mp3
*SNIP*

Did you not read the preliminary peer review at the end of the PDF Scientific American provided? They were not at all complimentary about the study's methodology.

They criticised the lack of blinding, the choices of radiation, the selection of specimens, the conclusions drawn, the anomalous results etc. the overall consensus seemed to me that the peers had no confidence in the study, some of them explicitly stated as much.

Your honeybee point is nonsense, it's been pretty clearly demonstrated that honeybee decline is caused by a combination of pesticides and natural parasites despite Monsanto et al.'s attempts to obfuscate the results. Historical evidence of whales becoming beached pre dates human manipulation of electricity, old English laws for example discuss ownership of whale carcasses (which were hugely valuable) found on the shore. It's likely that modern human activity has contributed to abnormal whale behaviour but the most credible theories relate to disruption of sound by sonar and engine noise rather than EMF manipulation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
Seem fairly straightforward to me

Oh well then, better scrap the entire, $25 million, full-maturation cycle study and start over, from scratch, while people continue to fry :borat:

OK genius

You for god knows what reason tag me into a post about how Scientific America has reported on some study.

If you look at my post you'll notice quote marks.
That is because I did not make the comments. In fact every word you have replied to in your post are from the Scientific America article and not me.

The article was written by Dina Maron. She is an Associate Editor for Scientific America, has "Published in outlets including Newsweek, Time.com, Scientific American, Greenwire, ClimateWire, AARP Bulletin, Science News and The Boston Globe" and worked as a researcher in Johns Hopkins (where she completed her masters degree in Public Health).

Why don't you write a rebuttal piece directly to her/Scientific America armed with your qualifications of counselling and a social sciences degree.
I don't think she will read it on The Student Room.

Either way you don't have to involve me.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Even where the safety/well-being of your children are concerned?

What if their mother saw the sense in a precautionary approach, would you block her taking steps to safeguard her kids!?

My fiancee isn't an adherent of psuedoscientific nonsense, so that's a rather pointless question. She understands that if the evidence provides an overwhelming consensus that something is safe, then acting against it is a complete waste of time

All the evidence? Deary me

Sorry, I should clarify. All the evidence from properly conducted and verified studies. Better?

0, 1.5 are < 1.6, and was the relationship not observed across all exposure groups in a dose dependent response?

Dose dependent? Not really.

From that study - brain lesions in males:
Malignant glioma on GSM radiation shows no real correlation between increasing dose and increasing response, neither does Glial cell hyperplasia. On CDMA there's a bit more, but for Malignant glioma it only occurs at 6w/kg, outside of standard exposure and within normal variation (0-8%) and the limited plot points for glial cell hyperplasia create a U shaped curve, so increasing the dose would apparently temporarily reduce the response? (Or more accurately the results are poor as a result of a poorly conducted study and not of any use for drawing conclusions).

For the heart there's a bit more of a correlation, but for all bar one reading it's within the standard variation of occurrence. The female rats see no real response.

According to prejudiced nay-sayers like you, oh and all the evidence (how could I forget) :rolleyes:

More accurately all the evidence. Mobile phones use non-ionising radiation. By definition, this cannot cause cancer or have any genotoxic effects. If it did then it wouldn't be non-ionising radiation given it's characterised by its nature of not being ionising. Blinded trials of supposed EMR sufferers have repeatedly shown it's just a nocebo effect, not a genuine causal relationship. Also, it's quite interesting that preliminary research into treatment suggests CBT is most effective: http://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/89222 Almost like it's a psychological condition, not a physiological one.

According to this 'logic', if a tree falls in the woods and no-one hears it then it never actually fell. Talk about not seeing the wood for the trees!

How on earth have you come to that idea? It's nothing like that - if you're measuring something and it doesn't move outside of the baseline then you have no results. You don't declare the baseline a result - it's the proper way of doing things.

Interesting as well you've ignored Nefarious' post pointing out that the study you've linked to is incredibly poorly conducted.
Reply 59
Well, I have nothing to add to the excellent posts above in terms of the study (would thumbs up but apparently I've done it recently for all of you).

And yes, any clinician will tell you there is a huge psychosomatic component to MOST (not all) cases of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Of course, that doesn't make it any less of an illness, or any less real to the person.

Quick Reply

Latest