The Student Room Group

is 2:1 in engineering HARD TO GET!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by black_mamba
All I can say is that when I was at school, I didn't care and didn't really try. I got something like a D or an E in physics A level (can't remember, it's been a while haha). But at uni I was happier, more focused and determined. I worked my ass off and got myself a 1st in mech eng. It's not impossible, but it does take a huge amount of effort. I remember working really long hours in my final year, sometimes moreso than I've done in some full time jobs! Worth it though. Really helped raise my employability a lot.

I kind of feel like if I can do it then anyone can. It depends how much time and effort you're willing to invest into it.

sounds awesome! what were your days like? were you spending every waking minute doing work?
Reply 41
Guys I need your opinion on this please
I achieved an A grade for mathematics fairly easily so I though I was a capable student to do engineering. However I barely scraped through a B in further maths.
How hard will engineering be compared to further maths?
Original post by sebe0062
Hey guys

im on a gap year and im preparing myself for the journey that is university.
ive bought myself ka stroud engineering mathematics and its great and im working through it quite easily.

Im just wondering is it HARD to get a 2:1 in electrical and electronic engineering?
will i have to work non stop to get a 2:1 or it with a decent amount of effort it can be done?

ps i got a D*DD at electrical and electronic btec extended diploma

Cheers

Below are the number of people who got a good classification from two different universities.
EE@Leeds: https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/study/10007795FT-H615/ReturnTo/Search [Out of 75 students 68% got a 2:1 or above]
EE@Leeds Beckett https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/study/10003861FT-BENEE/ReturnTo/Search [Out of 260 students 57% got a 2:1 or above]
More than half of the cohort got a 2:1 or above at both universities. If you work hard you have a high probability of getting a good classification. Engineering is hard so don't slack. It'll be worth it in the end!
Original post by pranz97
Guys I need your opinion on this please
I achieved an A grade for mathematics fairly easily so I though I was a capable student to do engineering. However I barely scraped through a B in further maths.
How hard will engineering be compared to further maths?

First year engineering maths is basically further maths plus some laplace transforms and multivariable calculus. If you got AB in Maths and Further Maths it'll be straightforward.

Quick Reply

Latest