The Student Room Group

How does homelessness affect a Student Loans Application?

As a Care-Leaver I've been in and out of homelessness all my adult life and this summer I spent four months in my brothers spare-room. I didn't think this was a big deal and applied to Student Finance Wales as that's where his house is. My application took a very long time to get processed and in the last couple of days I was asked to provide evidence of residency that I don't have (bills to his address in my name and stuff like that). Talking to the people at my university it seems as though my only option now is to apply to Student Finance England (my university is in England), but nobody either on the phone or at my university can tell me for certain whether or not I'll qualify. My question is, a) has anybody else had a similar problem and b) for those of you who have been through SFE, were you asked for proof of residency as outlined above? This problem is becoming even more problematic since I've been told that as of the 31st of October I am liable to pay my Tuition Fees whether or not I get a student loan.
Thanks in advance.
you need to prove you have been resident in the UK for the last 3 years.. Were you born here? Do you have a birth certificate? As grants and fees are different for people from England and from Wales then it will affect what level of fee you pay. where you when you were in care - England or Wales?

You can apply to student finance England and if you've been living in the UK you should be able to get loans from either SFE or SFW.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending