The Student Room Group

will the GP tell my mum?

I went to my GP a month ago to start taking the pill, we also talked about my mum and about her family history that I knew of (the doctor obviously didn't tell me anything private that i didn't know, but she did say she hasn't seen my mum in a long time), meaning I had to take a less common pill the progesterone only pill.

I am now worried that if my mum goes to see our GP, the GP will tell my mum about seeing me recently and how much iv grown (didn't see her since i was very young) and then my my mum will know iv been to see the doctors. OR, worse, the GP will blurt out that I'm on the pill thinking it was fine to tell her.

Do u think the next time i see my GP (about 4 weeks) i should tell her not to tell my mum? and if my mum see's the Gp before me do u think she would say anything ?
No, the GP should definitely keep things confidential even if they know your Mum. Also they have to ask about your Mum's history and her family to check there's no possible health problems that might mean you can't take the pill. Ask your GP if it makes you feel better. There shouldn't be any reason to be embarrassed about being on the pill, people go on it for loads of reasons :smile:
Patient confidentially prevents your GP from doing this. There are exceptions (such as you being a danger to yourself or others) but this clearly isn't the case.
If you're worried make it clear to your GP that you haven't told your mum. However, she certainly shouldn't be telling your mum anything about your medical issues and I would think she'd realise something like going on the pill could be an issue.
Tell the doctor to be safe, I don't see why you shouldn't tbh as there is no risk. And she can lose her job if she tells so you will be fine once you mention it to her. In the meantime just track if your mum has any reason to go to the GP and if not then you are set.
Reply 5
Original post by OU Student
Patient confidentially prevents your GP from doing this. There are exceptions (such as you being a danger to yourself or others) but this clearly isn't the case.

so patient confidentiality isn't just about disclosing medical information, even saying something like 'your daughter is so grown up now' meaning I had come seen her would be against their code?
Reply 6
Original post by Sparster
Tell the doctor to be safe, I don't see why you shouldn't tbh as there is no risk. And she can lose her job if she tells so you will be fine once you mention it to her. In the meantime just track if your mum has any reason to go to the GP and if not then you are set.

she got one of them annual free health check things in the mail and thats what made me realise. she didn't seem very keen on going any time soon though. thanks for replying!
Original post by Anonymous
so patient confidentiality isn't just about disclosing medical information, even saying something like 'your daughter is so grown up now' meaning I had come seen her would be against their code?

Yes. She can't discuss your medical history willy nilly.
Original post by OU Student
Yes. She can't discuss your medical history willy nilly.

She can't discuss it legally, indeed. It is highly unlikely that the doctor would mention it assuming she has any form of professionalism but the OP never specifically told her that she doesn't want the information leaked and her mother is pretty much her guardian so in theory there is a tiny tiny possibility that it could happen. Should be fine though.
Original post by Anonymous

Yes it is.

Doctors do not speak about other clients. IF for instance your GP says he saw your auntie marge the one day (even if he doesnt mention surgery) to your mother. Your mother puts 2&2 together and goes after auntie marge wanting to know why seh saw the doctor. Which breaches confidentiality.
Original post by silverbolt
Yes it is.

Doctors do not speak about other clients. IF for instance your GP says he saw your auntie marge the one day (even if he doesnt mention surgery) to your mother. Your mother puts 2&2 together and goes after auntie marge wanting to know why seh saw the doctor. Which breaches confidentiality.

thanks for the reassurance. my GP definitely seemed professional so hopefully all should be fine

Quick Reply

Latest