Relax2954
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,
I am interested in Engineering, and I am wondering how important are sketching, drawing, and painting skills in engineering?
Do I have to be a good drawer so that I can study engineering, or is it just geometrical drawing that can be learned?

Thank you
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Relax2954)
Hello,
I am interested in Engineering, and I am wondering how important are sketching, drawing, and painting skills in engineering?
Do I have to be a good drawer so that I can study engineering, or is it just geometrical drawing that can be learned?

Thank you
Maths, not art, is what is most important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
Not very. You may be expected to come up with engineering drawing for components in projects, but you will almost certainly be taught the basics (projections and things like that) in the course. Sketching and drawing are low priority skills imo, but they can be helpful in design tasks. But painting? Nah.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Relax2954)
Hello,

Thank you
Sketching, not at all relative to, say, an architect.

Drawing? Not particularly, as there is very little manual drawing nowadays. Drawings are generally now produced from a 3D CAD model. The hard part in producing drawings isn't the actual drawing, but conveying enough information on the drawing to the viewer of the drawing.

Painting? Not in the slightest.
black_mamba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Having very basic sketching skills is useful for sure. Many times you end up drawing little diagrams to explain things to people. If you can't draw a 3D box for example, I'd be working on improving that (basic perspective). In industry I was pleasantly surprised at how often a quick doodle of something conveyed information really quickly, but I'm not talking anything fancy. Rudimentary stuff! I'm half tempted to dig out my old notebooks now to find a drawing.

But as for hand drawing engineering drawings? Not needed. The only time I've seen someone do this was some structural engineers who were drawing little technical drawings of columns to be welded to the deck of a ship. I'm struggling to remember the context (why they didn't use CAD) and I think it might just have been that the guys doing it were very old skool and traditional.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (14)
66.67%
No (7)
33.33%

Watched Threads