The Student Room Group

Russel group universities have poor teaching standards?

I heard theyre only prestige because of their "research" but e.g UCL has apparently rubbish teaching compared to an average university. Whats the point of trying so hard in a levels to go to a russel group uni when you can learn better elsewhere???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hey!
I don't think you should focus on getting into a "russell group university".. I think you should just focus on getting your grades and applying to universities that you like. Different people have different opinions of different unis,I don't think being a russell group uni would make the teaching automatically bad or good it just depends on the place and you!! RG unis are given that label for a reason, they are good universities but they just may not be right for you. If the one you like isn't RG don't be put off going there just because it doesn't have that label.
Really recommend having a look on unistats and reading the reviews people write about unis you're interested in, if you're lucky you may find some on the specific course, as well as the overall stats for the uni.

Hope that helps?
:smile:
Original post by sabrinaa1234
I heard theyre only prestige because of their "research" but e.g UCL has apparently rubbish teaching compared to an average university. Whats the point of trying so hard in a levels to go to a russel group uni when you can learn better elsewhere???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Evidence or assertion?
I've heard this statement every time I've talked to someone at UCL about the teaching there, so it's probably true...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know about UCL, but I've found teaching standards to be fine at the 3 Russell Group unis I've experienced. Of course you'll come across useless lecturers, but that is easily made up by those lecturers that will go out of their way for you.

I have also found that most complaints about teaching standards tend to come from less able students. Although that seems to be a truism throughout education.
You don't need a good teacher if you can get into UCL. The main reason to go to a Russell Group is not the teaching, its the networking, the resources (especially in sciences), and the opportunities.
Original post by sabrinaa1234

The people at lesser unis have to be spoon fed because they're not as smart as the RG students, so naturally non-RG lecturers make the content more "accessible" (more easy to follow). Whereas RG, the people there a little bit smarter and don't need to have the subject content massaged gently to fit into their minds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending