The Student Room Group

Am I paying too much tax? ?

Hi Guys

I'm not sure if I'm posting my thread in the right forum. I basically work as a customer service assistant and I get paid weekly. Last week was my first week and I worked 39 hours although I usually work 40 hours a week. It it is a full time job and I don't work anywhere else. I just wanted to ask you guys if they have deducted right tax.

So I get paid £7.50 an hour. I worked for 39 hours last week. They deducted £17.60 tax and £16.50 national insurance and £1.15 for an accident insurance. So in total they have deducted £35.25. At the end I got paid £257.25 for a week.

So could you guys please tell me have they deducted the right tax or do you think I'm paying too much and maybe I should contact them because my tax code is wrong. Please clarify. Many thanks
Reply 2
That didn't help me at all despite selecting all the relevant boxes and putting my gross income in. It's just giving me random figures. Someone please help me out! !!
Original post by Love4All
Hi Guys

I'm not sure if I'm posting my thread in the right forum. I basically work as a customer service assistant and I get paid weekly. Last week was my first week and I worked 39 hours although I usually work 40 hours a week. It it is a full time job and I don't work anywhere else. I just wanted to ask you guys if they have deducted right tax.

So I get paid £7.50 an hour. I worked for 39 hours last week. They deducted £17.60 tax and £16.50 national insurance and £1.15 for an accident insurance. So in total they have deducted £35.25. At the end I got paid £257.25 for a week.

So could you guys please tell me have they deducted the right tax or do you think I'm paying too much and maybe I should contact them because my tax code is wrong. Please clarify. Many thanks

That sounds about right to me (going on what i earn anyway).
If you are unsure though, contact hmrc and double check it with them.
Reply 4
Original post by Love4All
Hi Guys

The income tax and national insurance are spot on.

What is the accident insurance deduction??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending