The Student Room Group

is this a good or bad idea;university course!

Ok, so here's my problem I am currently in yr12 studying Geography,History,Computer science and business studies, I like all my subjects but I am pretty sure I want to do a degree that is more 'mathsy' so to speak, such as engineering or compsci, and this is a problem as I don't take A-level maths,so I was thinking would it be a good idea to take a gap year after yr 13,learn a-level maths in that gap year ,then apply to uni after , or is this looked down upon/a stupid idea.

P.S. I didn't take maths because I got a b (3 of a) at gsce but this did not reflect my true ability.

thanks in advanced:biggrin:
Reply 1
bump plzzzz :biggrin:
do it homie xooxo
Original post by Mona_1
Ok, so here's my problem I am currently in yr12 studying Geography,History,Computer science and business studies, I like all my subjects but I am pretty sure I want to do a degree that is more 'mathsy' so to speak, such as engineering or compsci, and this is a problem as I don't take A-level maths,so I was thinking would it be a good idea to take a gap year after yr 13,learn a-level maths in that gap year ,then apply to uni after , or is this looked down upon/a stupid idea.

P.S. I didn't take maths because I got a b (3 of a) at gsce but this did not reflect my true ability.

thanks in advanced:biggrin:

Instead of doing a gap year and doing a-level maths, why not do a foundation year in what you want to do? That way you get a taster of the degree and can then continue straight onto it if you like it.
Reply 4
Got a friend doing this for Chemistry, as he didn't take Maths. If you're committed enough, and think you can achieve highly, Do it :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by AlphaDog0127
Instead of doing a gap year and doing a-level maths, why not do a foundation year in what you want to do? That way you get a taster of the degree and can then continue straight onto it if you like it.

Hey alpha, thanks for the advice,i was thinking this as well, but I was also thinking that it would be hard to get into a good uni that offers a foundation degree,also are they not generally for mature students? another thing is the cost ?
Reply 6
Original post by Cal-lum
Got a friend doing this for Chemistry, as he didn't take Maths. If you're committed enough, and think you can achieve highly, Do it :smile:

Nice,is it alright if asks where he is studying the A-level?, and I'm pretty sure ill be committed ,whether I achieve or not is a different story:wink:(but lets hope so).
Reply 7
Original post by judogainz
do it homie xooxo

Love the encouragement! I hope I can do it !:biggrin:
Original post by Mona_1
Hey alpha, thanks for the advice,i was thinking this as well, but I was also thinking that it would be hard to get into a good uni that offers a foundation degree,also are they not generally for mature students? another thing is the cost ?

I did a foundation year last year (straight from leaving A2), it's basically the degree but an extra year added on.

Foundation Years and Foundation Degree/Diplomas are different things. The foundation year tends to be just the degree with an extra year, as long as you pass that year you go onto the degree, for e.g. I did Computer Animation &VFX with integrated Foundation, passed and now started as a year 1 student.

My mates did a foundation degree/diploma in art which gave them a ton of UCAS points so they could then re-apply at other universities.

Check out the engineering/compSci courses you'd want to go on and then see if they offer a foundation year for that course.
Reply 9
Original post by Mona_1
Nice,is it alright if asks where he is studying the A-level?, and I'm pretty sure ill be committed ,whether I achieve or not is a different story:wink:(but lets hope so).

I think he would be self teaching with help from one or two tutors. Not sure. Yeah its not worth wasting a year of your life doing it unless it will really enrich your university experience though! be aware
Reply 10
I did a foundation year last year (straight from leaving A2), it's basically the degree but an extra year added on.

Foundation Years and Foundation Degree/Diplomas are different things. The foundation year tends to be just the degree with an extra year, as long as you pass that year you go onto the degree, for e.g. I did Computer Animation &VFX with integrated Foundation, passed and now started as a year 1 student.

My mates did a foundation degree/diploma in art which gave them a ton of UCAS points so they could then re-apply at other universities.

Check out the engineering/compSci courses you'd want to go on and then see if they offer a foundation year for that course.

How did you find it,what did you cover in the foundation year? Also ill go look now,thanks a lot from the advice!!!
Reply 11
Original post by Cal-lum
I think he would be self teaching with help from one or two tutors. Not sure. Yeah its not worth wasting a year of your life doing it unless it will really enrich your university experience though! be aware

Oh right, I was thinking if I did do it maybe I could do it at college/self study. Also I'm pretty sure it would, especially if I did go on to do a degree in something like engineering .Also surely it would boost my career prospects in general ?
Original post by Mona_1
How did you find it,what did you cover in the foundation year? Also ill go look now,thanks a lot from the advice!!!

I foundation year very useful, I actually opted to do foundation (met all the requirements for starting year 1) as I didn't feel I was ready yet for starting the official degree but didn't want to be stuck doing nothing for a year!

Foundation years are designed to get you up to the level required to start the degree, some students were mature (we just have a lot of them at my Uni though) and others hadn't met the degree course requirements for year 1. For my course specifically it was aimed at improving peoples drawing skills etc as all the animation courses at my Uni are very much art based, they taught it as if you have 0 knowledge and then cover everything.

I learnt more things relevant to my degree in that single year than I did in GCSE-A Level :smile:

edit: we covered a lot of things I did in A Level art & design as foundation years are classed as level 3 (same as A Level)

If you look on the University websites and courses they should show module guides, explaining what will be taught.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
I foundation year very useful, I actually opted to do foundation (met all the requirements for starting year 1) as I didn't feel I was ready yet for starting the official degree but didn't want to be stuck doing nothing for a year!

Foundation years are designed to get you up to the level required to start the degree, some students were mature (we just have a lot of them at my Uni though) and others hadn't met the degree course requirements for year 1. For my course specifically it was aimed at improving peoples drawing skills etc as all the animation courses at my Uni are very much art based, they taught it as if you have 0 knowledge and then cover everything.

I learnt more things relevant to my degree in that single year than I did in GCSE-A Level :smile:

edit: we covered a lot of things I did in A Level art & design as foundation years are classed as level 3 (same as A Level)

If you look on the University websites and courses they should show module guides, explaining what will be taught.

That sounds great !!Thanks,illhave a look now.

Quick Reply

Latest