The Student Room Group

Is Edinburgh University a good one?

Hi, guys!
I am an international student and have just received an offer from Edinburgh University Law school. Indeed, I want to study the law. But as I know little about universities in Britain, I cannot make sure whether it is a good one to study there.
Another choice is Sheffield University, of course, the major is still the law.

If you were me, which one would you want to accept?

Scroll to see replies

Edinburgh is better than sheffield.
However, they teach you Scots Law in Edin while it is English Law at Sheffield.
Scots law is heavily influenced by Civil/Roman law and is not likely to be too useful to you unless you are from a Civil law country.
Reply 2
Thank for your reply, acolyte!
They say that our law resembles Scottish Law more than English Law.
But my desire is to work for a firm in Britain.
In our country, Edinbourgh University has great reputation~~Sorry that I don't know you guys how to think of it...
Pick Edinburgh :smile: Apparently very pretty place too
Reply 4
All support for Edinburgh ~~haha, in fact I also like Edinburgh University better~~
With long history and better reputation, Scottish accent and law are not that bad~~
alsenselupin

Ah you are from China !
That is Civil law based.
Edinburgh would be definitely better than Sheffield for you.

Although I cant see a law firm going to the trouble of getting working visas and other things for you, if you are from China. Still, if you get a First and top your year, you might have a chance.
Reply 6
its quite good imo..id pick it over Sheffield..but its a bit over rated imo.
Reply 7
There seems to be a 2-year long visa for working after graduation.
However, I don't know whether it really works.
I should not have doubts about Edinbourgh University, but as the offer came up to me so easily, I cannot believe it.
Go for it! Edinburgh law is supposed to be hard to get into, so well done :biggrin:
Reply 9
alsenselupin
In our country, Edinbourgh University has great reputation~~Sorry that I don't know you guys how to think of it...

Ni hao! Edinburgh is a great uni, no doubt. But If you want to practise in England, you may want to think it over. Firstly, Edinburgh's law course is for four years (I think), and then you'd have to do another one year conversion course (because they teach scots law), which of course adds up to 5 years of study. If you were to go to sheffield (which is a decent - good law school) then it would take 3 years to get to the same stage.

That surely has to play a part in your decision. Also, don't *just* go to edinburgh because it's more reputable (but by all means allow that to feature in your thoughts).
Reply 10
You have learned Chinese, Mensan? Xie xie ni de hui da.
I know it's very important to think of myself. Reputation means the school itself, not me. Anyway, the school fits me best is the best.
Indeed, Edinburgh law school demands 4 years to study. And I can understand this point because Scottland has its foundamental education to be 12 years, just like China. What worries me is the ideas in employers' minds. I don't want to be out of work after graduation~~
There will be no problems if I stay Scottland, right?
Reply 11
alsenselupin
You have learned Chinese, Mensan? Xie xie ni de hui da.
I know it's very important to think of myself. Reputation means the school itself, not me. Anyway, the school fits me best is the best.
Indeed, Edinburgh law school demands 4 years to study. And I can understand this point because Scottland has its foundamental education to be 12 years, just like China. What worries me is the ideas in employers' minds. I don't want to be out of work after graduation~~
There will be no problems if I stay Scottland, right?

Bu ke qi! Wo jin nian xue zhong wen.... but it's not great.lol.

If you stay in Scotland there shouldn't be any problems whatsoever I don't think. But truthfully, there is less money available up there and I think life is so much better in England to be honest. Make sure you think about it loads because if you decide to take up the degree in Edinburgh you will either have to stay in Scotland, or take 2 extra years longer than you would have had to in Sheffield. Also I think that if you do decide to work in England, the Edinburgh degree won't mean as much as you think it would, as the english law firms won't know TOO much about their law school (or so I would imagine).
Reply 12
I know Chinese is one of the difficult languages in this world. But you would love to study it, you'll soon find how beautiful it really is.
I know what you meant. Scottland has been a less developed region and the salary there may not be so tempting. And as the difference in law system, if I studied in Edinburgh university, I cannot go to England to get a place. So unless i particularly like this uni(with no reasons) and regardless of its 4-year studies, it wasn't worth that...
Reply 13
Different voices sprang on this bbs
Still hard to make decisions...
Still wait for Durham, if it can give an offer, then I will have no problems.
Mensan1
Also I think that if you do decide to work in England, the Edinburgh degree won't mean as much as you think it would, as the english law firms won't know TOO much about their law school (or so I would imagine).

What the hell!?!? Yeah, because law firms' heads of recruitment don't have a clue about any law firms outside of the British top ten :rolleyes:.

It's not like there's some magic barrier between England and Scotland that prevents any information coming out.

Everyone knows how good Edinburgh is. If an HR manager in a law firm didn't, the law firm wouldn't be worth the time applying to.
Edinburgh, and congratulations on your offer. It's a very nice city too.
acolyte
Still, if you get a First and top your year, you might have a chance.

Hahahahahaha!

"You might have a chance"!?!?!?!?! Anyone that gets a first and comes top of their year from pretty much any law school has a fantastic chance. When the uni is as good as Edinburgh, they could do just about whatever they want. Firms would kill to have them.

Methinks you have been watching too many feelgood films about students, where they put in a week's work and ace their year with the hottest girl in the year round their neck, all to cheesy feelgood music. You don't have the slightest clue about how hard a first is, or just how mind-blowingly good coming top of your year of over 100 other people is.

Do you actually know anything about university/employment?

Idiot.
Reply 17
Edinburgh is good. My friend was rejected from there for Law with near perfect grades so it just goes to show how competitive it is as well. Edinburgh is a really lovely city too. Congrats on your offer! :smile:
Danny, while what you say is mostly true... it is by no means automatic that firms would roll over to have you just because you're top of your year. OK, yo it would be something good, but if that person was a 'bad person' for the job, it doesn't matter how damn clever you are. While the other observation was even worse, I feel there is too much stressing on academic success at times on these boards. Yes, it's great... but for careers outside academia (yes, even the Bar it's not just about grades) you need so so much more than grades which say 72% rather than 67% to beat the candidate!

Also, in reference to other points, english firms can and do recruit from scotland. The people normally have to take some parts of the CPE/GDL, I'm not sure which, but it does happen and edinburgh is certainly a top law school up there with the typical ones people would normally refer to as 'top' when, rather close-mindedly, taling about English unis as 'UK unis'.
Well, I thought it was obvious in my point that I meant 'unless there is a huge reason you are unemployable'.

I think when people make comments like mine, they are generally merely referring to the area in question - I meant that firms, as far as academic merits are concerned, would kill for you, which is true. Other factors are a different issue when we're discussing the academic merit of coming number one in the year with regards to employment.

You do however make a good point - people seem to be far too obsessed with Oxbridge/1st class degree etc when they think about employability. I'm willing to bet that a Cambridge 1st with a mediocre interview etc would get beat out by a top-tier uni 2:1 who impressed the hell out of his interviewer.

Latest

Trending

Trending