The Student Room Group

Don't know what to do at Uni in the future. Help :(

So I'm in Year 12 and I'm doing Maths, Spanish, Biology and Psychology. I originally wanted to be a doctor but I felt I wasn't 100% committed and I hated Chemistry even though I got an A* at GCSE. Then I wanted to be a clinical psychologist but I heard getting a psychology degree risks unemployment if you don't become a psychologist so that put me off. Now I'm thinking of doing something in finance because I like money (haha) and it seems like a stable job.

Can someone give me some advice on how to decide what to do? Also does anyone know a finance related job which is fairly enjoyable (or not crazy boring), other than an accountant. Thanks :smile:
Original post by blitzchika
So I'm in Year 12 and I'm doing Maths, Spanish, Biology and Psychology. I originally wanted to be a doctor but I felt I wasn't 100% committed and I hated Chemistry even though I got an A* at GCSE. Then I wanted to be a clinical psychologist but I heard getting a psychology degree risks unemployment if you don't become a psychologist so that put me off. Now I'm thinking of doing something in finance because I like money (haha) and it seems like a stable job.

Can someone give me some advice on how to decide what to do? Also does anyone know a finance related job which is fairly enjoyable (or not crazy boring), other than an accountant. Thanks :smile:

Hello :smile:
I don't know much about the subject, but here's a website which will tell you which jobs you can do with a certain degree, salary, job description, ect:

http://www.graduate-jobs.com/degree/

However, you need to find a job/degree you really like - you don't want to go into a career which you find a chore. It's the reason I've applied to do the subject I have - there's no guarantee of a job although the employment rates at my potential firm uni are high but I have a real passion for the subject.
Reply 2
I'm pretty sure you dont have to have a Finance (or something) degree in order to go into the finance part of work. I have a friend who has a degree in Biology ( got a*(maths) a(bio) b(chem I think?) at A level and he's now an accountant. But in order to get into the higher parts of his job he now has to do all the (professional is what some people call it) accounting/work style exams in order to be a fully qualified accountant and get a higher salary.

Quick Reply