The Student Room Group

Help with A-level Choices

I have recently started my A-levels, and chose to study Physics, Chemistry, French, Maths and Further Maths. I have been back and forth about what I would like to do in the future in terms of university degrees, but after GCSES I decided that I definitely wanted to go into science (hence my A-level choices). However, I wasn't sure whether or not this would be physical or biological science.

I've considered studying Medicine in the past, but I always thought I didn't want it enough to devote myself to it. But, I'm now thinking of switching French to Biology, which would keep my options more open in terms of biological sciences.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions on how I could make up my mind about my future?
Are you on the new system and taking all five to the full A level?

Okay, first of all, the main requirement for medicine is usually studying chemistry to A2, which you are doing. However, I think many courses also require biology, and therefore it would be useful to have biology. You do not need French in order to study any science related subjects, unless you wish to study abroad in France or have French as part of the degree, in which case it will be useful. Otherwise some universities look to see if you have a language up to a GCSE, but not much further than that.

As you have already made up your mind to study one of the science subjects, if you do all three sciences you will be able to study basically any type of science degree. Physics is generally not required for medicine, but definitely keep maths as all universities like maths due to the reputation of the subject.

Check on the different university prospectuses/go on open days, see which subjects they prefer. Generally, the sciences, maths and further maths are highly regarded subjects, so you can't go wrong doing them (though look at the amount of coursework required/general workload, as at the moment only three A levels are required for university application).
Original post by bioeng98
Are you on the new system and taking all five to the full A level?

Okay, first of all, the main requirement for medicine is usually studying chemistry to A2, which you are doing. However, I think many courses also require biology, and therefore it would be useful to have biology. You do not need French in order to study any science related subjects, unless you wish to study abroad in France or have French as part of the degree, in which case it will be useful. Otherwise some universities look to see if you have a language up to a GCSE, but not much further than that.

As you have already made up your mind to study one of the science subjects, if you do all three sciences you will be able to study basically any type of science degree. Physics is generally not required for medicine, but definitely keep maths as all universities like maths due to the reputation of the subject.

Check on the different university prospectuses/go on open days, see which subjects they prefer. Generally, the sciences, maths and further maths are highly regarded subjects, so you can't go wrong doing them (though look at the amount of coursework required/general workload, as at the moment only three A levels are required for university application).

Okay, I'll have a look at a few things you mentioned. Thanks for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest