username2124911
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Sorry if i sound like i am moaning too much, A levels it testing my limits.
I am currently at Queen Mary's Grammar School (been there since Year 7, great place). Got new teachers who entered this year, the History teacher is exceptional: helpful irish dude who knows everything on American History, I am hating chemistry though, My form tutor is one of my teachers, he is pretty good, although he hits hard with a lot of homework. The other teacher is a new guy, helpful but does not explain things properly. Due to this, i am finding it hard, and want to drop it at the end of AS. I am also doing Maths and Physics. Dont particularly enjoy maths or the Mechanics side of physics, I only took them cos i want to do Computer Science at uni.
Plus, i am being pressured by damn Asian parents (it sucks to be an Asian brown kid). My dad is a GP, and my Mum is a Biology teacher, so the pressure is high.
Thank God i am not doing medicine, due to the extremely high GCSE and A-level acquirements, and how the NHS is being screwed at the moment.
\but they are pressuring me, and i cant cope. E.g, i get six homeworks on a firday, and work 5 till 9 every day solid, and yet these people want me to start revision notes now? I cant cope.
And plus, my dad is a lousy Asian, who needs tech support cos he cant be asked to read a manual. How do i tell him i dont have time for his moaning. (it sucks to be a techie as well, having 5 years worth of knowledge and building your own Gaming Rig can lead to exploitation).
Sorry if i am stressing out, and do not take offence to anything i have said, all i need is advice on how to deal with the above issues,
Hope all is well,
Kind Regards,
Asim
Skill Twix
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For chemistry,use online revision guides.Read through each chapter and after every chapter, test your knowledge using questions in the book and then past paper questions.Understand and make notes(the most important points or descriptions that you can't learn-just condense them down into simple points)
Use Examsolutions.net or hegartymaths for Maths and you'll start liking it(I promise you).
For physics,use the textbook.Understand and make notes(the most important points or descriptions that you can't learn-just condense them down into simple points).Read through each chapter and after every chapter, test your knowledge using questions in the book and then past paper questions

I can only help you this far mate
Fleming1928
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by asim1999)
the History teacher is exceptional: helpful irish dude
Asim
I just had a history teacher who was amazing (and Irish) that just left :laugh:

Now back to the question. You're only in year 12, if you think that it is hard then there will be a storm coming in year 13 I've currently just finished year 12, at this stage I barely have time for TSR as all I do is homework and more homework. I get new homework before it was time to even hand in the previous homework, now a few weeks into the new year practice exams are also coming so I have to revise + do homework. I revise before school, at school and after school because there's just no time for relaxing.

My biggest advice would be: drop the subject in which you are struggling with now. If you don't enjoy it, you won't do well in it. Drop it to not waste time. (I did this with biology at the start of year 12. Everyone got a U in their first practice paper and I decided not to waste time and dropped it. Best decision I ever made as most people also failed it at AS). You will then have more time to worry about the subjects which you enjoy. If you want to apply to a university which wants 4 AS exams then you can always take up an EPQ. I've had a lot of teacher problems in year 12 (eg I had about 4 history teachers for one topic as they all kept leaving) which had a negative effect on my results. If you know that you will struggle because of a teacher, and you know that you will struggle with self teaching yourself that one course, my advice is to just drop the subject.

Secondly, you really need to talk to your parents about it. I know exactly how you feel about pressure from school AND your parents. You need to tell them exactly how you feel about everything, if they don't understand, then maybe some tears will do the job. Maybe you can also talk to your subject teachers. After talking to my teachers some of them understand that the homework deadlines need to be longer as everyone is getting bombarded with multiple homeworks.

Sorry If my reply is a big negative. I'm sort of talking from experience. I wish you all the best, you seem very hard working and you will definitely do well.
katebeckett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am Asian too so I know what you mean and where you are coming from. Plus yeah I am already quite stressed over Alevels too. The only thing you should do, despite not liking certain subjects, would be to focus and work on them. At the end of the day, you want the good predictions and grades, therefore hard work is vital at every point in these two years especially. Try to manage your working hours more efficiently because you can't afford to be distracted or overworked. Also, you could try talking to your parents but tbh I don't think they will understand. So it is all up to you: manage your time efficiently and cut down on hours if needed. Be organised and stay on top of all your work. Before you know it, you will be able to drop the subject you dislike and continue. However, revision and being focused is key from the beginning! Good luck!
AlexS101
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If by working 5-9 every day you mean non school related work, you need to seriously think about quitting, or reducing your hours. I think mine said something like every 5 hours above 10 hours a week is a grade you lose in each subject.
celiajacobs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think you should persevere, the first couple of months are really hard going but I think you do become more accustomed to it. Just keep up with the homework as it'll help your revision, and if you're spending that long on your homework and still not getting it done, tell your teachers, they will understand and maybe ease off or give you extensions. I know exactly how you feel and I wouldn't wish that stress on anyone, but don't put excess pressure on yourself and give yourself a break at least one night a week, it'll help relax yourself!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.34%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.17%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.46%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.41%

Watched Threads