Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone,

just want your opinion do you think that its okay to flirt online??? i mean even if it does start to get a bit more serious do you think its a good idea???

just wondering!!! let me know

luv ya all

littleredfrog xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleredfrog)
    hey everyone,

just want your opinion do you think that its okay to flirt online??? i mean even if it does start to get a bit more serious do you think its a good idea???

just wondering!!! let me know

luv ya all

littleredfrog xxx
    I wouldn't unless the person I was talking to was someone I'm friends with in real life. That's my general rule of thumb.

However I have been accused of being a subconscious flirt so I probably do it without realising. If it gets serious I'd stop it, not a general fan of an online relationship.

Flirting is fine, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    i don't tend to with people i don't know, but there are exceptions like people on this forum who i feel i've known for ages.

but, it might not be bad. i have an online diary and i noticed this guy who had the name of my town as his location so i left a comment and he noted me back. we chatted on msn when we realised we were in the same college, had friends in each others classes and had form rooms next to each other. all this went on while i was in a serious relationship so there was no flirting at all. i then split up with the guy i was with and this lad became a bit of a shoulder to cry on- still on msn, but we had kind of figured who the other one was, but still no flirting. anyway one night we both got drunk and bumped into each other in town and we were going out within 2 weeks and still are.

*moral of this story*- relationships online are rarely the same in real life. a lot of people flirt and it never comes to anything even if they think it will, but sometimes starting off by just making a friend and not flirting can lead onto more.
    lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    i don't tend to with people i don't know, but there are exceptions like people on this forum who i feel i've known for ages.

but, it might not be bad. i have an online diary and i noticed this guy who had the name of my town as his location so i left a comment and he noted me back. we chatted on msn when we realised we were in the same college, had friends in each others classes and had form rooms next to each other. all this went on while i was in a serious relationship so there was no flirting at all. i then split up with the guy i was with and this lad became a bit of a shoulder to cry on- still on msn, but we had kind of figured who the other one was, but still no flirting. anyway one night we both got drunk and bumped into each other in town and we were going out within 2 weeks and still are.

*moral of this story*- relationships online are rarely the same in real life. a lot of people flirt and it never comes to anything even if they think it will, but sometimes starting off by just making a friend and not flirting can lead onto more.
    lou xxx
    Well said

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by "okay". Do you mean is it safe? Is it pathetic? Is it moral? Is it risky emotionally? See, what you said could be interpreted in lots of ways and I don't know which one to answer to :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    What do you mean by "okay". Do you mean is it safe? Is it pathetic? Is it moral? Is it risky emotionally? See, what you said could be interpreted in lots of ways and I don't know which one to answer to :confused:
    all would be helpful!!! sorry, but it would!!

ReputationRep:
    but okay if its okay to flirt online wot bout if you exchange numbers and photos adn stuff??? its really confusing and quite frankly i need the advice!! please!! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    all would be helpful!!! sorry, but it would!!
    Okay, because I wouldn't mind delaying my revision by a few minutes

Is it safe? You do run the risk of making someone fall for you, and people do crazy things when in love.. but you should be safe if you follow all the usual guidelines (a.k.a. don't give them info that'd let them stalk you)

Is it pathetic? That's a judgement call. It can be "a bit of harmess fun" but it depends how far you take it. If you'd prefer to flirt with random people online than go out and flirt with real people then that's a sign it's gone too far.

Is it moral? Don't see why not, unless there's a partner involved who'd be hurt by it. Or unless you get someone's hopes up and crush them.

Is it risky emotionally? Again, this depends on how far you're going to take it. If you feel yourself getting serious about it, then it can be. If you're young and you fall in love with someone from Russia/America/other random place far from Britain, then it's unlikely you'll ever see them. Online relationships can be nice but they're hard, and it's never "real" unless you see them regularly. Also, there's the fact that you need a bit of raw physical attraction, which is hard to get online. You can see someone's picture and think they look nice and really fall for their personality, but then meet them and it turns out that there's no spark offline. Also, online relationships can reverse the usual process; people mostly fancy each other first, and then as the passion dies they get to know each other. Whereas with an online relationship you get to know them before you meet them, so it turns the normal relationship pattern on its head. There are also other unforeseen circumstances: You fall for them, and when you meet it turns out that they're nothing like they seem, or you don't see the same person. Or it turns out that they lied. Or it turns out that they're actually 38 with a wife and kid going to middle school. But if it's just flirting, then if you keep a cap on any "falling in love" instincts then you're covered and none of that stuff matters

So yeah, there is the PhD of Online Flirting :rolleyes: sorry I went on a bit.

ReputationRep:
    but okay if its okay to flirt online wot bout if you exchange numbers and photos adn stuff??? its really confusing and quite frankly i need the advice!! please!! :confused:
    You should never give anyone your number unless you've known them for at least a couple of months and feel like you know a lot about them and trust them. And even then it should only be an unlisted mobile number so you can't be traced.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine met a guy online (from America) and they did actually end up having a serious long-distance relationship for something like two years (though of course they did visit each other when they could - it can't be solely an internet thing)...so, though I wouldn't have thought it possible before, I suppose the internet is as good a place as any to meet people (?)....Actually, I still have my doubts, but you never know.

ReputationRep:
    well what if said person lives not too far away adn you ahev seen a photo of them adn then have also spoke to tehm on teh phone and have txt adn emailed them?? does this still make it silly??? or pathetic or anytrhing else?? i know this is all stupid but its just general wondering and ahve been in the situation before adn think that it mite be happenin again!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    You should never give anyone your number unless you've known them for at least a couple of months and feel like you know a lot about them and trust them. And even then it should only be an unlisted mobile number so you can't be traced.
    i suppose but what if you feel thers something there??? you think its still wrong??

ReputationRep:
    the problem with online flirting is that it will never lead anywhere

ReputationRep:
    well what if said person lives not too far away adn you ahev seen a photo of them adn then have also spoke to tehm on teh phone and have txt adn emailed them?? does this still make it silly??? or pathetic or anytrhing else?? i know this is all stupid but its just general wondering and ahve been in the situation before adn think that it mite be happenin again!!
    if you really like them, then maybe you should go for it. i know i would never have spoken to my bf if i hadn't met him on online-it kind of broek the ice, but i never expected anything to happen (i never considered it until i saw him in college and realised how perfect he was). just be careful.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    the problem with online flirting is that it will never lead anywhere
    I beg to differ in a few cases.

ReputationRep:
    Define online flirting... is it chatting in a certain way? I suppose what you have to do, is think, do I normally talk to people this way? if you answer yes, then there is no problem, you may not see it as flirting, but others might, so be carefyl. Although I dont think anyone should have to think how they talk and how others may interpret it, its a sad fact of life that we do.

Flirting is harmless providing all involved know its friendly and nothing more is wanted from the relationship. Therefore Id say enjoy it, we are all only young once.

ReputationRep:
    I had an online relationship. It was not exactly Romeo and Juliet all over again.. although that's a good thing as neither of us are dead.. but I'm sure you all get the idea! I wouldn't recommend it, but if it has to happen don't say "I love you" before you meet. That's my expert advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    if you really like them, then maybe you should go for it. i know i would never have spoken to my bf if i hadn't met him on online-it kind of broek the ice, but i never expected anything to happen (i never considered it until i saw him in college and realised how perfect he was). just be careful.

lou xxx
    i suppose but it can go wrong!! but i really actually do think that iut mite work?? i know its quite scary!! i mean he comes down to near were i live like every weekend so it mite work!! but im not sure

ReputationRep:
    i suppose but what if you feel thers something there??? you think its still wrong??
    If there's something there, it'll wait until you've known them a couple of months before you give out your number. If it's right then it should last that long anyway!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.