Turn on thread page Beta

My A-Level Choices... watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I just thought I'd share my a-level choices with you so I can get some feedback and oppinions...

I'm taking:

Maths
    Physics
    Computing
    ICT
    General Studies

I plan to go to uni afterwards to study computing at a higher level although I havn't exactly chosen what catergory of computing i'm going into yet. I know that maths and physics may be hard but i'm great and maths and sadly enough, i love it so :P hehe

So your views, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siliviax)
    Maths
    Physics
    Computing
    ICT
    General Studies
    Hi:
    I wouldn't say that General Studies should count as an option in general. But that is just a personal problem of mine.
    They seem nice and focused. Maybe not very varied, but neither are my options so I can't go on about that.
    Just make sure that you are sure that is what you want to go into, otherwise you will create a lot of work for yourself in the future.

ReputationRep:
    At least you arent doing media - thats a complete doss

ReputationRep:
    ICT is looked down on and Computing isn't the most challenging of courses. One of my friends is going to Southampton to do computer engineering (yes - top for years in that) and he doesn't do any computing. Maths is important, as is Physics. Pick F. Maths if you can.

ReputationRep:
    how different are ICT and computing?

(Original post by scarlet ibis)
    how different are ICT and computing?
    Very!!!

(Original post by Yannis)
    Computing isn't the most challenging of courses.
    Care to remind me of a subject with a lower pass rate at A2?!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    computing is a respected subject, but i possibly wouldn't do it with ICT (which is a bit looked down on). maybe do something a bit different (maybe more essay based), just so you have a variety, something like history or geography or geology or whatever you like.

but in the end do subjects you enjoy, i chose the most random combination ever (i had lessons in 4 different faculties) and i enjoyed them cos they are all so different, but i have a friend who does maths, f. maths and physics and he says he can get a bit bored. he also got rejected after interview from one uni and they said it was because his knowledge was too narrow.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Very!!!
    Are they really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    Are they really?
    computing is how all the wires and stuff work, things like programming

ICT is using computer applications like word, excel, publisher etc.

lou xxx

(Original post by samdavyson)
    Are they really?
    I think anyone with a post GCSE knowledge of the use of a computer and a slight knowledge of networking (no detail required) could probably get a reasonable grade in ICT. Whereas if you tried the same for computing, you would find it much more difficult. The course is far more technical and less practically based than that of ICT, which contains a two very substancial (but quite simple) projects throughout the course.

(Original post by lou p lou)
    he also got rejected after interview from one uni and they said it was because his knowledge was too narrow.

lou xxx
    At least I could wave a B in History at them when I applied then (must have conned them into thinking I was something other than a techie geek)!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I just thought I'd share my a-level choices with you so I can get some feedback and oppinions...

I'm taking:

Maths
    Physics
    Computing
    ICT
    General Studies

I plan to go to uni afterwards to study computing at a higher level although I havn't exactly chosen what catergory of computing i'm going into yet. I know that maths and physics may be hard but i'm great and maths and sadly enough, i love it so :P hehe

So your views, thanks!
    do u like/are good @ chemistry? imo it may be a better alternative to general studies.

ReputationRep:
    At least I could wave a B in History at them when I applied then (must have conned them into thinking I was something other than a techie geek)!!!
    hehe and then you just get the completely vague ones who try have a go at everything, and just couldn't narrow themselves to one subject (much to the despair of my tutor when i was writing my personal statement- him: 'why maths and psychology together?' me: 'i couldn't decide, so thought i'd do both and i can always change mid-course')

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    More of a fact than an opinion; ICT is not a good idea! Not a very respected subject even if you do want to go into IT or any computer-related university course; Maths is all they look for, even at the top universities.

Computing is quite respected and has easy subject matter but it's catatonically boring and this amplifies its difficulty a thousand fold... It takes a very enlightened zen-minded Buddhist to maintain interest enough to breeze through it getting an A.

Maths and Physics are two of the most respected subjects going but I wouldn't recommend doing three additional courses as these two will occupy your time more than any others, besides possible chemistry; which is my recommendation as a substitute for ICT/General Studies... If you want to steer away from the 'science nerd' courses, English might be a good idea and would require less time (I think) than Chemistry, Physics or Maths but demand as much respect from universities/employers.

(Original post by lou p lou)
    hehe and then you just get the completely vague ones who try have a go at everything, and just couldn't narrow themselves to one subject (much to the despair of my tutor when i was writing my personal statement- him: 'why maths and psychology together?' me: 'i couldn't decide, so thought i'd do both and i can always change mid-course')

lou xxx
    It not the strangest combination I've heard though (they actually link slightly), whereas Chemistry and Theology is slightly more difficult to write a PS for!!!

ReputationRep:

I'm taking:

Maths
    Physics
    Computing
    ICT
    General Studies

So your views, thanks!
    I love maths too. end of story Great subject. Physics has it's dull parts...

(Original post by Mysticmin)
    I love maths too. end of story Great subject. Physics has it's dull parts...

Is it ok to love maths but be s**t at it?!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It not the strangest combination I've heard though (they actually link slightly), whereas Chemistry and Theology is slightly more difficult to write a PS for!!!
    lol true. when i was looking round unis i went to loads of talks on joint honours to get ideas for why you should do 2 subjects. st andrews offer a degree in maths and hebrew. why?
    but in the end if the uni offers the course, then the admission tutors must think it's a worthwhile combination so are kind of on your side.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Is it ok to love maths but be s**t at it?!? :confused:
    Um, i think the two are independent mutually exclusive events

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.