Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My A-Level Choices... watch

Announcements

(Original post by lou p lou)
    lol true. when i was looking round unis i went to loads of talks on joint honours to get ideas for why you should do 2 subjects. st andrews offer a degree in maths and hebrew. why?
    but in the end if the uni offers the course, then the admission tutors must think it's a worthwhile combination so are kind of on your side.

lou xxx
    Plus when you tell people what you do, you don't get the "ahhh another dull mathsy sciency person" look (I'm far too used to that)!!! I imagine it will be great being able to study things so different because when one get mind numbingly dull, the other can sort you out with a bit of excitement!!!

(Original post by Mysticmin)
    Um, i think the two are independent mutually exclusive events
    *Draws Venn Diagram*...YAY!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Plus when you tell people what you do, you don't get the "ahhh another dull mathsy sciency person" look (I'm far too used to that)!!! I imagine it will be great being able to study things so different because when one get mind numbingly dull, the other can sort you out with a bit of excitement!!!
    how dare you describe psychology as mind numbingly dull ... hang on... unless you meant maths? no... you couldn't.. *shakes head in disbelief*

lou xxx

how dare you describe psychology as mind numbingly dull ... hang on... unless you meant maths? no... you couldn't.. *shakes head in disbelief*

lou xxx
    I love maths but even you have to admit that doing stats can sometimes become the most dull thing on the face of the planet!!! No give me a good pure topic and....

ReputationRep:
    Care to remind me of a subject with a lower pass rate at A2?!? :confused:
    I can remind you of some subjects with less people doing them because of their name, rather than generally being interested.

ReputationRep:
    I love maths but even you have to admit that doing stats can sometimes become the most dull thing on the face of the planet!!! No give me a good pure topic and....
    lol, at every uni looked round i was like 'i can choose to do no stats, right?'... although they all that was slightly odd considering i have to do a stats module in psychology (hopefully it will be easy) but it is possible. i'm going to do mainly pure and applied (which dundee is really good for, they have a lot of biomedical research and the maths dept are heavily involved in it)

lou xxx

(Original post by Yannis)
    I can remind you of some subjects with less people doing them because of their name, rather than generally being interested.
    Im not seeing how that applies here?!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    *Draws Venn Diagram*...YAY!!!
    Now leeky, with mutually exclusive and independent events, would you need a venn diagram? :cool: If you want to draw one, draw a tree diagram

Now leeky, with mutually exclusive and independent events, would you need a venn diagram? :cool: If you want to draw one, draw a tree diagram
    I just enjoy drawing random circles in empty space...please don't rob me of one of my few remaining joys (I've finished P3 now so I can't get the thrill of a good integration by parts anymore)!!!

ReputationRep:
    I just enjoy drawing random circles in empty space...please don't rob me of one of my few remaining joys (I've finished P3 now so I can't get the thrill of a good integration by parts anymore)!!!
    Ah ok *hands back pink crayon and big A3 sheet of paper*

Ah ok *hands back pink crayon and big A3 sheet of paper*
    Far more fun that P3 ever was!!!

ReputationRep:
    Far more fun that P3 ever was!!!
    P3 was fun? :cool:

P3 was fun? :cool:
    Right up until 1.15 last week it was...

ReputationRep:
    Right up until 1.15 last week it was...
    that's more like it!

ReputationRep:
    Im not seeing how that applies here?!? :confused:
    more people would do computing because they think the A-level sounds really good, whereas sciences and F. Maths tends to attract a higher proportion of people genuinely dedicated to the subject. I was seriously considering doing comp sci and after looking at my friend's past papers am thinking that it was the right choice as chemistry is much more fundamental and challenging. Less dedicated people = lower marks on average

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yannis)
    more people would do computing because they think the A-level sounds really good, whereas sciences and F. Maths tends to attract a higher proportion of people genuinely dedicated to the subject. I was seriously considering doing comp sci and after looking at my friend's past papers am thinking that it was the right choice as chemistry is much more fundamental and challenging. Less dedicated people = lower marks on average
    i would disagree, but computing tends to attract the *no offence to leekey, i love ya really* computer geeks, some of the cleverest people i know do computing and you can just tell they are going to end up super rich cos they are so bright. and my bf does computing and i would be absalutely shocked if he didn't get an A and it's just cos he loves it so much *lou's tip on what to avoid on dates: teaching your gf programming :rolleyes: *

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    I think Yannis has a valid argument. There are a lot of students who take computing and can't hack it. I found this to be the case in my class; there are only four or five (including myself) students who are dedicated to studying computer science, whilst the other two or three just don't give a ****.

EDIT: Sorry to go off topic.

I think you've got a good combination of Maths, Physics and Computing there. I personally think General Studies is a waste of time, and would advise if you want to take something 'lighter', I would choose sociology. It will give you a wider perspective of things, and help develop your lateral thinking.

Although they are different, I wouldn't take ICT and Computing together. If you want to develop a business mind, take business studies (or even economics, because it sounds better.) If you can be synoptic in your own thinking, I think this will benefit you greatly in the long run.

(Original post by Water)
    I think Yannis has a valid argument. There are a lot of students who take computing and can't hack it. I found this to be the case in my class; there are only four or five (including myself) students who are dedicated to studying computer science, whilst the other two or three just don't give a ****.
    A question for anyone doing A2 maths....how many people were in you AS maths classes compared to A2? Its exactly the same for other subjects, people take maths not because of the name but because they think it is a "respected" subject (exactly the same wrong reasons for taking a subject that you highlighted for comp)!!! The simple fact is that those who take these subjects for the wrong reasons and lack dedication are weeded out come exam time (usually) and this is demonstrated by the low pass rate for computing. If everyone of these tag-along students fails then how does that make the subject matter any easier?!? :confused:

[color=purple]i would disagree, but computing tends to attract the *no offence to leekey, i love ya really* computer geeks,
    You think I have a problem with the truth?!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    A question for anyone doing A2 maths....how many people were in you AS maths classes compared to A2? Its exactly the same for other subjects, people take maths not because of the name but because they think it is a "respected" subject (exactly the same wrong reasons for taking a subject that you highlighted for comp)!!! The simple fact is that those who take these subjects for the wrong reasons and lack dedication are weeded out come exam time (usually) and this is demonstrated by the low pass rate for computing. If everyone of these tag-along students fails then how does that make the subject matter any easier?!? :confused:
    Um, four people dropped out in total from maths. There were originally 20 people, bear in mind that my year's about 45 people though.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.