The Student Room Group

Dentist problems

Over the past few months my gums have been bleeding and now receding rapidly. This worried me quite alot, even though in july my dentist from my hometown said just brush harder around the affected areas. Since doing this and using a mouthwash targeting my problems it has only gotten worse.

Recently I have had to get a new dentist since my last one left. I want to get an appointment to sort out my gum problem before teeth become unstable. But i have no idea how to sign up to a new dentist in my uni town? Also I thought student dental care was free with the NHS but i could not prove that searching online.

tldr: How to sign up to a new dentist at uni? Also is it free for students?
You don't need to brush harder necessarily. Do you floss at least once and brush twice daily? What is your diet and health like? Do you smoke or drink a lot?

It's hard to judge without photos. Get a scale and polish from your dentist and start looking after your teeth.
I brush two or sometimes three times a day. Though I will admit I never keep committed to flossing.

My diet is not great, but how would that cause such bad problems?

I do not smoke, but I do drink alot. Could drinking be the cause of it? And if so why
Original post by Toomanyoptions
Over the past few months my gums have been bleeding and now receding rapidly. This worried me quite alot, even though in july my dentist from my hometown said just brush harder around the affected areas. Since doing this and using a mouthwash targeting my problems it has only gotten worse.

Recently I have had to get a new dentist since my last one left. I want to get an appointment to sort out my gum problem before teeth become unstable. But i have no idea how to sign up to a new dentist in my uni town? Also I thought student dental care was free with the NHS but i could not prove that searching online.

tldr: How to sign up to a new dentist at uni? Also is it free for students?

It seems to me you may have necrotizing gingivitis. This condition is caused by a mixture of bacteria. It is non infectious but should be treated immediately as it could lead to severe recession of gums, and ultimately tooth loss.

Do NOT brush harder. Use a soft brush to brush your teeth. There is a difference between brushing HARD and brushing effectively. Make sure when you brush you reach all the areas and surfaces of your teeth, and be sure to floss and use other inter dental cleaning aids

To sign up to a new dentist, you walk in to the clinic or call in and tell the receptionist you want to sign up and book an appt asap. Tell her your problem too if you want, although you are not required to do so. Because of the rapid nature of your condition, tell them you need an appointment asap - Your dentist will understand if you describe your condition as well as you have done here before seeing him.

Student dental care is only free if you are under 19. You will have to pay for your treatment otherwise, I highly advise you to shrug off the cost of your treatment, as your condition will only get worse in time if left untreated.

Hope this helps !
(edited 8 years ago)

Good job you tagged me in here by the way.
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
Good job you tagged me in here by the way.

tagged you because this guy looks like he needs urgent help
(wont be tagging you in any dentistry admissions threads dw haha :tongue:)
Original post by urteeththo
tagged you because this guy looks like he needs urgent help
(wont be tagging you in any dentistry admissions threads dw haha :tongue:)

LOOL. You can tag me wherever you like.
Thanks guys, especially lejend.

I guess my old dentist was not much help!
Original post by Toomanyoptions
Thanks guys, especially lejend.

I guess my old dentist was not much help!

Np mate.
Ps once you go to your new dentist and pay for the treatment/appointment. Ask for a receipt. Then you can fill out a HC1 form and claim the £ and get free care for following appointments (and prescriptions and eye tests).

99% of students can get free dental care if they fill out the HC1 form (and supply evidence-usually in the form of student finance entitlement letter)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest