The Student Room Group

How to get a good grade in GCSE geography controlled assessment?

My exam board is Edexcel and we are doing a controlled assessment on Slapton Sands and Dawlish Warren. It is probably the most challenging subject for me right now because of the coursework.
Do you guys have any tips for how to get a decent grade like an A in the coursework? Much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Dammm Mine was AQA, but I did get full marks in my coursework. But you're doing Edexcel sooo... it might differ :-/ not sure
Reply 2
Original post by FaisalNaeem03
Dammm Mine was AQA, but I did get full marks in my coursework. But you're doing controlled assessment sooo... it might differ :-/ not sure

What did you do to get such a great mark? Did you analyse your data you collected? And if so, how did you do it?
Reply 3
Got full marks in the controlled assessment, edexcel B.

Is yours on coasts? I still have all my documents I can tell you roughly what I wrote for any given section :smile:
Well I did 16,000 words... It's kinda like statistics just find the correlation, and use like many graphs. I need to refresh my mind on it, because I did Geography in year 10
Reply 5
Original post by 11ahf
Got full marks in the controlled assessment, edexcel B.

Is yours on coasts? I still have all my documents I can tell you roughly what I wrote for any given section :smile:

I would very much appreciate if you could do that. We are doing our assessment on coasts as well.
Dammm Mine was AQA, but I did get full marks in my coursework. But you're doing Edexcel sooo... it might differ :-/ not sure

Mine's AQA could you help me with mine - how did you get A*??
Original post by bloxman28
I would very much appreciate if you could do that. We are doing our assessment on coasts as well.

I can still help you if you need it although we did Population and Tourism :smile:
I did aqa and got 56/60 so ask away. Although this was 2 years ago I'll try my best to remember

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
Mine's AQA could you help me with mine - how did you get A*??

Sure!! What Topic is your coursework on?
Sure!! What Topic is your coursework on?

Tourism
Reply 11

Is it one where you're looking at beach features as opposed to the effect on the cliffs? We might be doing the same exam, just I did mine in April!

Anywhere in particular or do you just want me to go through every low control section of my coursework?
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
Tourism

I can help you :smile: PM me
Reply 13
=I can tell you roughly what I wrote for any given section :smile:

Could you please tell me how to get good marks in the first section: Purpose of investigation where you describe the area that you are collecting data from?
Also the analysis of data and the Evaluation of the entire project
Reply 14
Original post by 11ahf
Is it one where you're looking at beach features as opposed to the effect on the cliffs? We might be doing the same exam, just I did mine in April!

Anywhere in particular or do you just want me to go through every low control section of my coursework?

No, mine is based on how longshore drift and management strategies create different shaped coastal landforms. Somewhat similar though
Reply 15
No, mine is based on how longshore drift and management strategies create different shaped coastal landforms. Somewhat similar though

Okay, so we had a master sheet from our geography teacher with the specification on. I don't know whether you've been given one, but it was extraordinarily useful, so I'll help you find a similar one if you don't have one.

Have you started it yet, i.e. conducted background research or collected your primary data? I don't want to give you in depth advice for sections you've already done :redface:
Reply 16
Original post by 11ahf
Okay, so we had a master sheet from our geography teacher with the specification on. I don't know whether you've been given one, but it was extraordinarily useful, so I'll help you find a similar one if you don't have one.

Have you started it yet, i.e. conducted background research or collected your primary data? I don't want to give you in depth advice for sections you've already done :redface:

Yes, I am far into it. All that is left is my analysis of data, evaluation, a few data presentation techniques and Conclusion. However, I am concerned about the quality of my Purpose of Investigation and background research
I did Edexcel and got 100%. Produced a 140 page document I think lmao.

Make sure you use a wide range of methods to present your data and comment analytically.
I was 2 marks off 100% for edexcel, wrote a book so was penalised for surpassing the word limit.

To succeed, keep it concise, write detailed notes for each section - to make it as much a copy and paste job as possible. Highlight every heading (presentation marks), and annotate the living daylight out of every picture.
Reply 19
Original post by ILovePancakes
I did Edexcel and got 100%. Produced a 140 page document I think lmao.

Make sure you use a wide range of methods to present your data and comment analytically.

Original post by Stegosaurus99
I was 2 marks off 100% for edexcel, wrote a book so was penalised for surpassing the word limit.To succeed, keep it concise, write detailed notes for each section - to make it as much a copy and paste job as possible. Highlight every heading (presentation marks), and annotate the living daylight out of every picture.

How did you guys print those novels?

Quick Reply

Latest