jotpedwagieemde
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys.
I have a little struggle in writing my personal statement for 2016 application.
I undertook my exams in 2015 but due to financial reasons I was unable to go to UK to study this year. I had to stay in poland and now I am studying medicine, but no matter how weird it may sound it was just my backup option because my ambition is to study pscychology in UK.
And here is the problem: as far as I know I have to mention what Ive been doing during the gap year (well, it is not truly a gap year since I am studying) but I dont know how it mentioning that I have already been studying another subject will be perceived and how much of disadvantage it will be. Anybody been in such a situation or has an idea what to do?
BoogieWoogie97
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You may want to check the relevant universities' websites about their policies on this. Not all universities accept applications from people currently studying another degree, unless it's in their final year and they're hoping to start after they've finished their current degree.

It's not a gap year so you'd do well not to call it that - you're studying another subject. You could talk about how you're more interested in the patient contact and listening to people's problems and counselling (which, as far as my limited knowledge goes, is what psychologists do) and use that as a reason to say why you've changed your mind about what you want to study.

(Original post by jotpedwagieemde)
Hey guys.
I have a little struggle in writing my personal statement for 2016 application.
I undertook my exams in 2015 but due to financial reasons I was unable to go to UK to study this year. I had to stay in poland and now I am studying medicine, but no matter how weird it may sound it was just my backup option because my ambition is to study pscychology in UK.
And here is the problem: as far as I know I have to mention what Ive been doing during the gap year (well, it is not truly a gap year since I am studying) but I dont know how it mentioning that I have already been studying another subject will be perceived and how much of disadvantage it will be. Anybody been in such a situation or has an idea what to do?
chidchilli
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'm sure uni's would rather hear that you've spent the year studying than simply sitting at home and doing nothing. There may consider the fact that you'd be dropping out of your current course to be an issue but just explain in your PS that you had a change of heart. Make it convincing and make it honest.

(Original post by BoogieWoogie97)
You may want to check the relevant universities' websites about their policies on this. Not all universities accept applications from people currently studying another degree, unless it's in their final year and they're hoping to start after they've finished their current degree.

It's not a gap year so you'd do well not to call it that - you're studying another subject.
Oh... This is true actually..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Focus on why psychology, rather than why not medicine
elliemayxo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're studying still, then you're not having a gap year.

A gap year is where you pretty much do nothing or just party for a whole year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jotpedwagieemde
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you for the support lovely people

So how should I call it? A preparation? Because telling the truth that I had no money to move to UK would rather look not good :/
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You don't need to say the reason - focus on 'why psychology' rather than 'why the UK [now]'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (29)
42.65%
Take autumn exams (25)
36.76%
Look for a job (1)
1.47%
Consider an apprenticeship (2)
2.94%
Take a year out (8)
11.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads