The Student Room Group

University just for the sake of it?

I recently got my A2 results and received BBCC. My firm choice, Maths at Uni of Leeds rejected me, but my insurance, Maths at Uni of Sheffield accepted me. I however rejected the insurance as I wasn't committed to the University. Recently I have been having many thoughts about viable career options. I decided that I don't want to study Maths at Uni just before sitting my exams as even though I was decent at it, I didn't really enjoy it.
The subjects that I would want to study at University, however, are not viable career options for me personally. I would like to do Accounting Qualifications outside of University, but I don't want to miss out on the benefits of going to University, even if it is to study a subject which I probably won't end pursuing a career in. Any help would be appreciated x
Original post by maffewhitehouse
I recently got my A2 results and received BBCC. My firm choice, Maths at Uni of Leeds rejected me, but my insurance, Maths at Uni of Sheffield accepted me. I however rejected the insurance as I wasn't committed to the University. Recently I have been having many thoughts about viable career options. I decided that I don't want to study Maths at Uni just before sitting my exams as even though I was decent at it, I didn't really enjoy it.
The subjects that I would want to study at University, however, are not viable career options for me personally. I would like to do Accounting Qualifications outside of University, but I don't want to miss out on the benefits of going to University, even if it is to study a subject which I probably won't end pursuing a career in. Any help would be appreciated x

Unless you are getting an A in A level Maths, it might be best to leave Maths at degree level. Why not do accounting at BSc level?
I bombed one of the exams unfortunately, my E in core 4 dragged my overall grade down. I'd entertain the idea of doing Accounting BSc at uni, but I think if I could practically do it for free anyway through work, it seems pointless to go through Uni?
I'd still do it any university, as long as it is a top 30 uni.
Reply 4
Why not do Maths joint with Finance, Accounting, Economics/Management or similar?

that way you essentially still get a Maths degree but also experience in something more practical that could get you a job in Accounting/Finance but still allows you to do many other careers as 50% or 75% of the degree would be general Mathematics.

Or as King of the Ring said just do an Accounting degree?

Another option could be to take a gap year, start an Accountancy Apprenticeship where they would put you through relevant Accounting Qualifications and then apply to uni for the next year (Thats what my friend did but to study Management with Accounting)

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending