EPQ: Does it have to be about the subject you want to take at University? Watch

celloel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello!

I want to study Information Management, preferably at UCL (AAB) or QMUL (ABB). However, I have decided to do my EPQ project on how far literature influences a child's academic and social development.

As you can tell my project is completely different from the degree I wish to follow, but it is a subject that deeply interests me and I am taking English Literature and Language at AS Level.

Have I made a huge mistake in doing my EPQ on English/Social Sciences rather than on Business or IT? I know Universities might want to see in depth study of the subject you are looking at undertaking and I am worried I've messed up by choosing this title. Would the EPQ be pointless (in terms of University) if I am doing this title? Or will it be beneficial as Universities will see I can undertake an independent project no matter the subject title?

Help!
Leviathan1741
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Your EPQ doesn't have to be related to the subject you wish to study at university, but it could be an advantage as it shows the admissions tutor that you are committed to studying that subject. However, even though your EPQ isn't related to your university course, it's not a waste of time, as you can still emphasise in your personal statement the ways in which completing the EPQ has benefitted you, for example it has allowed you to develop important skills such as public speaking, extending essay writing and referencing, and it has also given you the opportunity to research and expand your level of knowledge in a topic which greatly interests you
celloel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
Your EPQ doesn't have to be related to the subject you wish to study at university, but it could be an advantage as it shows the admissions tutor that you are committed to studying that subject. However, even though your EPQ isn't related to your university course, it's not a waste of time, as you can still emphasise in your personal statement the ways in which completing the EPQ has benefitted you, for example it has allowed you to develop important skills such as public speaking, extending essay writing and referencing, and it has also given you the opportunity to research and expand your level of knowledge in a topic which greatly interests you
Thank you very much! I'm really enjoying learning more about this topic and was worried admissions would be concerned I hadn't chosen to study my course in more depth. I'll just explain I was doing that in my spare time anyway, outside of the qualification!

Many thanks :-)
candycaneland500
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by celloel)
Hello!

I want to study Information Management, preferably at UCL (AAB) or QMUL (ABB). However, I have decided to do my EPQ project on how far literature influences a child's academic and social development.

As you can tell my project is completely different from the degree I wish to follow, but it is a subject that deeply interests me and I am taking English Literature and Language at AS Level.

Have I made a huge mistake in doing my EPQ on English/Social Sciences rather than on Business or IT? I know Universities might want to see in depth study of the subject you are looking at undertaking and I am worried I've messed up by choosing this title. Would the EPQ be pointless (in terms of University) if I am doing this title? Or will it be beneficial as Universities will see I can undertake an independent project no matter the subject title?

Help!
no you can write about whatever interests you for your EPQ
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (76)
23.68%
No (245)
76.32%

Watched Threads