Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Q) Will the solenoid and the magnetic attract or repel?

According to the answer in the booklet it says that they will attract BUT I think that they are repelling each other because they are both north poles. What do you think?

The image is attached to the post.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Edit: the current's going anti-clockwise, so there's a south pole created (not sure why, just what we were told at A Level).

ReputationRep:
    no, it's a north pole that's created at the end - so repulsion!

think aNticlockwise (N for north)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Edit: the current's going anti-clockwise, so there's a south pole created (not sure why, just what we were told at A Level).
    Well i was taught that where the current is going anti clockwise there's a north pole created. I just verified this from one of my physics books.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok, sorry. The direction of induced EMF (and therefore current) depends on which way the magnet's moving anyway.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i thought anticlockwise was north as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    no, it's a north pole that's created at the end - so repulsion!

think aNticlockwise (N for north)
    yes thats correct

the left hand side is north so repulsion
    it depends on how the coil of solenoid is going. whether its curling up and around or under and around-if that makes sense- its hard to explain the net

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihi)
    yes thats correct

the left hand side is north so repulsion
    it depends on how the coil of solenoid is going. whether its curling up and around or under and around-if that makes sense- its hard to explain the net
    The answer in the booklet is obv. wrong then!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.