Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been perusing quite a few university websites of late and I'm bored so...

Straight off the bat - York, already tagged with being one of the most lifeless universities in the country (as voted by its own student body) has a similarly puritan website - it just looks sterile. Navigable but sterile, and it doesn't even offer the subject I want to do, good riddance. The fact that they have a little Sunday Times Uni of The Year badge tucked away in a corner of their pants website is almost ironic.

Other p*ss poor websites of good unis:

Cambridge - boring, boring. Learn from your more lively arch-rival, dark blue is the colour of champions. Light blue is the colour of the little boys' room. .

Durham - not that bad, but hardly earthmoving, plus the Law undergrad section is detached from the main site - and rather crap. TVU kicks the ass of this place (on website merit). And it annoys me how they have to head everything off with 'one of the UK's top three...' (Law website) - we can all guess the two frontrunners. :rolleyes:

Royal Holloway - looked okay to start with, but rather thin on the ground.

London School of Pharmacy - don't ask me how/why I ended up on here, I wish I hadn't.

The eye candy:

Moving swiftly on, Manchester is one of my favourites - bustling with pictures and student profiles, and ohh it has movies. Very nice if you ask me, there's even a countdown clock to their merger. The interactive photo tour is quite decent too.

Other good ones:

UCL - Very slick, well crafted and appealing. The Bartlett (architecture) is a swish site.

Liverpool - Now this I like, suave, sophisticated, informative and Liverpudlian (no longer an oxymoron ). Hehe, some of the stuff makes me laugh (Liverpool - the city).

Central St. Martins - Would you expect anything less than uber-slick? It really puts York in the shade.

Bath - Colourful, quite spritely, I like it.

University Of Exeter in Cornwall
    - A nice aquatic theme, pity it is just a small satellite with hardly any subjects.

Birmingham - Clean, simplistic, quite good.

Oxford - I like the colourscheme and there is a lot of useful info.

Edinburgh - Simple, colourful, good info, loadsa pictures. Same for Nottingham.

UEA - Plain and simple but effective, like the East Anglia landscape

The also-rans: Warwick, Imperial, Bristol, LSE (too cluttered, too busy, too self-important), Sheffield, Leeds (too purple), KCL (although the entry requirements box-out is a nice touch), SOAS, Leicester (a grey opening page), Newcastle (poor quality girls, it must have been a hot day when they took the photos - which are indoors).

World Pick: MIT - well crafted, polished, every department uniquely themed - and as always, it defecates on Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    lol - i like it, Cambridge does indeed have the worst web-site i've ever come across - so dull and bland

but yeh - Birmingham website is very good - my favourite (being unbiased of course)

what about one for the best women? hhehehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    lol - i like it, Cambridge does indeed have the worst web-site i've ever come across - so dull and bland

but yeh - Birmingham website is very good - my favourite (being unbiased of course)

what about one for the best women? hhehehe
    Hehe, Anna Dawson aka hot blonde on the Manchester website - on the main page you will see a random pic of a student - cycle through till you find her. Hehe, from what I can remember the Kings paper prospectus has some things of beauty in it. A pity I can't find it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.