The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Anyone doing Philosophy and Economics at LSE?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Connor27
In first year you’ll study EC100 or EC102 (depending on whether or not you did A Level Economics); both of these modules are very basic level economics and do not require much mathematical aptitude at all. This module is basically an A Level refresher in economics for those who have no formal grounding in the subject.

You’ll also do PH103 which covers “the big questions” in philosophy, this requires no maths whatsoever and is entirely essay based.

Then you’ll do two half modules MA107 and ST107, both of these cover stats and quantitative methods in social sciences; again not TOO challenging, but probably a step further than A Level maths i’d say. Things like linear algebra, set theory and calculus are covered here.

Interestingly, your final module PH101 or PH104 (you choose which one to do at the start of the year; PH104 is considered more rigorous though) requires maths; both of these cover you with an introduction to logic, while PH104 delves deeper into things like modal logic, counterfactuals, paradoxes and accounts of causation. However, even if you choose PH104, the maths requirement you should find simple compared to your work at A Level and in ST107/MA107.

Source: I’ve just finished most of these modules myself as a first year lmao

Hope that was helpful.

Omg thankyou so much! That’s so so so helpful!!!! Just picking up on something you said, are there people on the course who did not do A level maths !? I though you had to have an A in maths omg !!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by jasmine_GCSE
Omg thankyou so much! That’s so so so helpful!!!! Just picking up on something you said, are there people on the course who did not do A level maths !? I though you had to have an A in maths omg !!

Sorry you said who hadn’t done economics !! My bad

No, A Level maths is required but A Level Economics is not.

The modules studied depend on whether or not you did A Level Economics not A Level Maths, which is, as you say, an entry requirement.

Edit: although, there will be people in some of your modules that don’t have a grounding in A Level maths, since modules cross degree programmes and not all degrees have A Level maths as a requirement.
(edited 4 years ago)
No, A Level maths is required but A Level Economics is not.

The modules studied depend on whether or not you did A Level Economics not A Level Maths, which is, as you say, an entry requirement.

Thought so ! Sorry I did correct myself after, read that as those who hadn’t done maths not economics, my bad. ( revision is clearly killing my brain off 😂). Do you also mind if I ask about the workload and no. of essays/ problem sheets/ tests etc
Thought so ! Sorry I did correct myself after, read that as those who hadn’t done maths not economics, my bad. ( revision is clearly killing my brain off 😂). Do you also mind if I ask about the workload and no. of essays/ problem sheets/ tests etc

Yep, you’ll find it a piece of cake compared to A Level.

It’s not an exaggeration when people say that first year doesn’t matter.
Yep, you’ll find it a piece of cake compared to A Level.

It’s not an exaggeration when people say that first year doesn’t matter.

That’s crazy. Thankyou so much for your help. I knew first year ‘didn’t count’ but wasn’t sure if that applied in LSE 😂
That’s crazy. Thankyou so much for your help. I knew first year ‘didn’t count’ but wasn’t sure if that applied in LSE 😂

Your three best modules out of 4 collectively amount to 11% of your degree and your worst module doesn’t count at all.

First year is mostly about meeting new friends, adjusting to living by yourself and most importantly having a good time.
Your three best modules out of 4 collectively amount to 11% of your degree and your worst module doesn’t count at all.

First year is mostly about meeting new friends, adjusting to living by yourself and most importantly having a good time.

Do a lot of people choose to just not study for one module then ?
Do a lot of people choose to just not study for one module then ?

I mean you can do that, but only really if you have one clear “weakest” module; if your aptitude is similar in all 4 it’s worth trying in all 4 to maximise your chances.

Also although I said it “doesn’t count” and that is strictly true, it means 0 for your degree classification; you do still need to pass every module (40% at least) or they force you to come back in August early to do resits.
I mean you can do that, but only really if you have one clear “weakest” module; if you’re aptitude is similar in all 4 it’s worth trying in all 4 to maximise your chances.

Also although I said it “doesn’t count” and that is strictly true, it means 0 for your degree classification; you do still need to pass every module (40% at least) or they force you to come back in August early to do resits.

Ahhh I see I see. And do a lot of people have to resist or is it relatively easy to get 40%? Sorry for all the questions !
Ahhh I see I see. And do a lot of people have to resist or is it relatively easy to get 40%? Sorry for all the questions !

Only a tiny minority (1-2%) fail modules, most people would pass with ease even with 0 revision, but better safe than sorry.
Only a tiny minority (1-2%) fail modules, most people would pass with ease even with 0 revision, but better safe than sorry.

Ahhh that’s perfect then. And in terms of philosophy is that heavily assed with essays in exams or short questions, etc ?
Ahhh that’s perfect then. And in terms of philosophy is that heavily assed with essays in exams or short questions, etc ?

PH103 has no exam, just two coursework essays that are worth 50% each (at LSE they’re called “summatives” don’t ask why...)

PH101/104 are 100% exam, since those are logic modules it’s almost like a maths exam mixed with an IQ test kinda? Hahaha, if you come to study here you’ll see what I mean about those two modules being bizarre.
PH103 has no exam, just two coursework essays that are worth 50% each (at LSE they’re called “summatives” don’t ask why...)

PH101/104 are 100% exam, since those are logic modules it’s almost like a maths exam mixed with an IQ test kinda? Hahaha, if you come to study here you’ll see what I mean about those two modules being bizarre.

Ooooo PH101/104 sounds kinda like the TSA? I literally love the sound of those exams😂 way prefer those types of questions to long essays
Ooooo PH101/104 sounds kinda like the TSA? I literally love the sound of those exams😂 way prefer those types of questions to long essays

Yes! The Oxford TSA is a great comparison actually.
Yes! The Oxford TSA is a great comparison actually.

Wow those exams sound like my dream exams 😂😂😂
Hi! For those on this thread that are currently on the course, will AAA achieved give me a fighting chance of obtaining an offer? I know this is the minimum requirement, but I’m not sure if they’d actually just look for higher grades! @Connor27
Original post by honeydukes01
Hi! For those on this thread that are currently on the course, will AAA achieved give me a fighting chance of obtaining an offer? I know this is the minimum requirement, but I’m not sure if they’d actually just look for higher grades! @Connor27

Can’t say really - it depends on a whole host of things like how good the competition is in your cohort compared to mine, how good your personal statement is (which LSE puts a lot of stock in.)

I can tell you my personal grades though: predicted was A*AA achieved was A*AB and obviously I got a place.
Can’t say really - it depends on a whole host of things like how good the competition is in your cohort compared to mine, how good your personal statement is (which LSE puts a lot of stock in.)

I can tell you my personal grades though: predicted was A*AA achieved was A*AB and obviously I got a place.

Thanks for your reply! May I ask what the A* was in?
Original post by honeydukes01
Thanks for your reply! May I ask what the A* was in?

Of course, government and politics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending