h.dupre16
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello, this is an urgent question. I am applying to Cambridge for Human Social and Political Sciences but I don't know what college to choose and don't want to have an open application. I love drama and sports. Which college do you recommend ? (Do some colleges have more 'chances' for me to get accepted) ?
BoogieWoogie97
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by h.dupre16)
(Do some colleges have more 'chances' for me to get accepted) ?
If you mean colleges where you have a greater chance of getting in than at others, then no. At Cambridge, they use a system of pooling to ensure that the best candidates get a place regardless of the college that they applied to.

The only thing that you could possibly control is the likelihood of getting pooled. So if you applied to Trinity for maths with a good enough academic record to get a place at Cambridge but the competition at Trinity was too strong that year, you'd be placed in the pool where a less oversubscribed college might pick you up and give you a place anyway. The latter isn't a guarantee of a place, however, it's just speculation.
Lauren2812
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._Pros_and_Cons

Click the link.

If you want to search by specifics then you can use 'Ctrl + F' and search for different keywords, e.g. 'gym' if you want to know if the college has a good gym or offers some sort of discounted membership for a gym.
Big Blue Machine
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello, this is an urgent question. I am applying to Cambridge for Human Social and Political Sciences but I don't know what college to choose and don't want to have an open application. I love drama and sports. Which college do you recommend ? (Do some colleges have more 'chances' for me to get accepted) ?
I can tell you 100% the effect of college choice on whether you're admitted is minimal. Places like Trinity and St John's will tend to attract a lot of strong applicants, and the ones who dot get in may be pooled to other colleges. If you're an AT and you have the choice between someone with a 95% average with a 10/10 in interview, even if they've not applied to your college, you're going to want to get them!

Pick a college of things like:

It's size
Location, do you want to be close to the faculty? Do you want to be in the middle of town?
Architectural features. Do you want something very grand like Kings or Corpus Christi , or something more quaint and homely like Trinity Hall?

These are better ways to pick a college!
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just happened to meet someone who was very active when he was at Cambridge (actually that's been his profession since he graduated) and he was saying Queens's theatre was really great. (He was at another college himself, so probably he's not biased). They're quite active in many sports, too, but almost all Cambridge colleges are, so it won't make Queens any special in that department. Also, it'd probably depend on which sport you're interested in, too, as some colleges have the facilities for certain sports on the site/nearby while others may not.

Your choice of college won't affect your chance of getting into Cambridge as they have a very effective moderation system (ie. Pooling)
Please see the OP of Official 2016 Applibants thread for more details on that.
Lauren2812
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maybe look at pics or each college, and the accommodation. etc.

To be honest, I think most people choose their college for the littlest of things.
username1865079
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lozzie97)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._Pros_and_Cons

Click the link.

If you want to search by specifics then you can use 'Ctrl + F' and search for different keywords, e.g. 'gym' if you want to know if the college has a good gym or offers some sort of discounted membership for a gym.
Unfortunately some of info on that wiki is not accurate as many haven't been updated at all for ages. It's quite difficult to know which info is correct or not if you don't know.
Lauren2812
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by vincrows)
Unfortunately some of info on that wiki is not accurate as many haven't been updated at all for ages. It's quite difficult to know which info is correct or not if you don't know.
Still, probably better than nothing. Can use it to get it down to a shortlist to then do extra research.
username1865079
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Still, probably better than nothing. Can use it to get it down to a shortlist to then do extra research.
Can be quite misleading if the info is completely outdated. I first had a look at that page at least 4/5 yrs ago when my daughter was applying and some info was already out of date then, and many of them are still there as they were. Pity....
Lauren2812
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by vincrows)
Can be quite misleading if the info is completely outdated. I first had a look at that page at least 4/5 yrs ago when my daughter was applying and some info was already out of date then, and many of them are still there as they were. Pity....
True, true. Gosh. Would be nice if these sorts of things were updated. It's so hard to get information from actual students about them all.
username1865079
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
True, true. Gosh. Would be nice if these sorts of things were updated. It's so hard to get information from actual students about them all.
I think TSR mods are planning to overhaul it, so hopefully it'll improve........one day.

The problem with asking actual students is that their 'info'/opinions about their college are sometimes (read: often ) biased.
h.dupre16
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks to everyone who has answered in such a short time ! I have narrowed my choices and will speak to my councilor tomorrow. Do any of you have an opinion about Christ's college, Homerton College and Girton College?
username1865079
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks to everyone who has answered in such a short time ! I have narrowed my choices and will speak to my councilor tomorrow. Do any of you have an opinion about Christ's college, Homerton College and Girton College?
Both homerton and girton are quite away from town centre, so if you're not planning to cycle, I wouldn't recommend them. (Esp. Homerton. They're on the wrong side of town from the dept of HSPS. Girton is on the right side, but you'd still need to cycle to get there and to town centre for shopping food, etc)
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why did you pick those colleges for your shortlist?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (121)
15.69%
Uncertainty around my education (125)
16.21%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
9.34%
Isolating with family (51)
6.61%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (30)
3.89%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (66)
8.56%
Loneliness (81)
10.51%
Financial worries (32)
4.15%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (70)
9.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (50)
6.49%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (73)
9.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed