How to ACTUALLY strengthen your core

Watch
hermitthefrog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I feel my big lifts might be being held back my a lack of core strength- e.g when I squat heavy I feel my back collapsing, no matter how much I hold my breath. I could buy a belt, but I'd rather address the problem.

I've done enough research to know that doing a million crunches isn't going to do much good, and that heavy lifting engages the core, but I have taken this as a reason to do nothing which specifically targets the core. I might do a plank or some russian twists at the end of my workouts but that is it.

Is there any core-targeting exercises which are not considered a waste of time, and which would help me improve my squat? Or am I better just to let the lifting do its work and accept my core won't let me lift as the rest of my body? Is there any techniques I can use to stop my back collapsing? (I've recently started squatting high bar as this supposedly keeps me more upright, and I do the whole taking a deep breath before I go down thing).
digitalangel18
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not exercise examples but try periodising your workouts. Part of it includes focusing on your core for a solid 2 weeks, it helps reduce plateau, gain more muscle whilst having overall strength.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw58.htm
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-c...ength-training
Squats and milk
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hermitthefrog)
I feel my big lifts might be being held back my a lack of core strength- e.g when I squat heavy I feel my back collapsing, no matter how much I hold my breath. I could buy a belt, but I'd rather address the problem.

I've done enough research to know that doing a million crunches isn't going to do much good, and that heavy lifting engages the core, but I have taken this as a reason to do nothing which specifically targets the core. I might do a plank or some russian twists at the end of my workouts but that is it.

Is there any core-targeting exercises which are not considered a waste of time, and which would help me improve my squat? Or am I better just to let the lifting do its work and accept my core won't let me lift as the rest of my body? Is there any techniques I can use to stop my back collapsing? (I've recently started squatting high bar as this supposedly keeps me more upright, and I do the whole taking a deep breath before I go down thing).
Heavy farmers walks should do the trick.
JD1lla
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's not enough to just merely hold your breath. The idea is to create intra-abdominal pressure. Google on ways to do this and find a method you're comfortable with. Even on heavy squats I feel I can safely unrack and squat with a completely stable core purely because of the way I'm inhaling/exhaling. Do not use Valsalva maneuver
Squats and milk
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JD1lla)
It's not enough to just merely hold your breath. The idea is to create intra-abdominal pressure. Google on ways to do this and find a method you're comfortable with. Even on heavy squats I feel I can safely unrack and squat with a completely stable core purely because of the way I'm inhaling/exhaling. Do not use Valsalva maneuver
This. I try to imagine I'm breathing into my lower back, if that makes sense.
hermitthefrog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks for this, lots to work on with my breathing technique!

Posted from TSR Mobile
JD1lla
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Squats and milk)
This. I try to imagine I'm breathing into my lower back, if that makes sense.
As Elliot Hulse would say, breathe into your balls!
fashionistauk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Try gymnastics
diracdeltafunc
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hermitthefrog)

Planks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (113)
13.87%
I'm not sure (36)
4.42%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (248)
30.43%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (398)
48.83%

Watched Threads