The Student Room Group

Is 5hrs study time per session to much?

I have an exam on the horizon for a specific non-academic certification. I worked out that over the next 5 nights from 7pm-12am I could finish of studying then spend the few days I have off from work revising back through my notes. Do you think this is to much to do? I could always reschedule and put it of for further week but ideally wouldn't want to as I have alot on. I'm not used to studying as I've been out of formal education 5+ years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
its fine, the harder you work the better the grade!
It probably is quite a lot, especially if you're not used to studying. It depends what you're doing with the rest of the day as well, it's a lot if you're working 9-5 as well, not so much if that's all you do all day. Personally I can't work more than 30-60 mins (depending what I'm doing and my focus that day) without some sort of break so try and factor in some breaks. I also find that setting a workload target is much more effective than a time target. If you say 'study for 5 hours' I find you tend to slack off and get distracted and just count down the minutes til you've 'done' and you reach the end having only really done 3 hours of proper study. If you give yourself a certain amount of notes to write/essays to plan/practice papers to do then you will probably focus better as obviously if you work harder you will finish sooner.

I would see how it goes and just listen to your body. If you take a 10-15 min break and still can't get your focus back after you've done a few hours you probably need to call it for the night. Don't force yourself to overwork in the first couple of days.
wow that is too much, your brain only remembers 30 mins then have a 10 minute break then start over again. this is a good way if you wanted to do it for 5hours just have breaks inbetween
Reply 4
Original post by amyjanee15
wow that is too much, your brain only remembers 30 mins then have a 10 minute break then start over again. this is a good way if you wanted to do it for 5hours just have breaks inbetween

After attempting it Im going to agree, feel like I've learnt more in 2hrs than I did with 5

Posted from TSR Mobile
No.

I was doing 11-13 hours at my peak.

Eat whilst watching khanphysics innit.
I find that quite a long time, and I thought I had a reasonably good attention span. I tend to do 1-2 hours of study at a time then a 30min and break. I find that much more efficient and less tedious as I know I have a break coming if you see what I mean.
Original post by Treypound
I have an exam on the horizon for a specific non-academic certification. I worked out that over the next 5 nights from 7pm-12am I could finish of studying then spend the few days I have off from work revising back through my notes. Do you think this is to much to do? I could always reschedule and put it of for further week but ideally wouldn't want to as I have alot on. I'm not used to studying as I've been out of formal education 5+ years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The best way to revise varies a lot from person to person. However, I would say definitely make sure you're not doing bulk revision (5 hours of solid revision). Try to do 45 minutes of revision and then have a 15 minute break, otherwise productivity will decrease dramatically as time goes on.

Secondly, 12am does seem a bit late to be revising, but as I say, it depends entirely on the person. Bare in mind that as the day goes on and as it gets closer to bed time, your brain will become tired and lose it's ability to retain as much information. Of course, if you're a bit of a night owl this may work for you!

Generally, make sure you're having plenty of breaks and try to change to a different part of the topic after each break to avoid boredom, and if you're feeling tired, stop immediately because you won't be doing anything useful at all.

All the best with your revision! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending