Uni Discrimination? Watch

This discussion is closed.
England2004
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hey im currently doing my AS levels at a quite respectable all boys grammar sixith form.
I moved there from my more funnier and more scocial mixed high school, you all know what i mean where all your mates were from familys with mercs etc.
However the school i'm at now is like that and i always felt having something more than the most of them as they would have no clue on 'street' i'm no gangster but you know what i mean when people who have been shielded from people comming into school looking for fights etc and the majority of those ending year 11 just go into work.

Now where this comes into applying to Uni, i got class results for my gcses mainly B's 2 A's 1 A* any who i was curious how Uni's look on me comming from a 'lesser?' background with my old school etc?
Also i can just as easily put the name of my area which is the biggest council estate in Europe and i would feel that prehaps they would look down on it and think of me as some scally? but i'm sure somewhere that Uni's have to accept x number from 'disadvantage' backgrounds any 1 have any help please let me no!

Thanks!
.NK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by England2004)

Now where this comes into applying to Uni, i got class results for my gcses mainly B's 2 A's 1 A* any who i was curious how Uni's look on me comming from a 'lesser?' background with my old school etc?
Also i can just as easily put the name of my area which is the biggest council estate in Europe and i would feel that prehaps they would look down on it and think of me as some scally? but i'm sure somewhere that Uni's have to accept x number from 'disadvantage' backgrounds any 1 have any help please let me no!

Thanks!
It depends what course you apply for really. A lot of courses won't look at GCSE grades, so it doesn't matter which school you took them in so much. If you apply for, for example, medicine, which does look at GCSE grades, then they will probably take into account which school you went to - whether they'd come to the conclusion that you would have got better results at another school I don't know!

Some subjects ask for, for example, a B at English GCSE or a C at maths. I haven't seen any courses that ask for A's at GCSE in certain subjects, but there probably are some. Unless you apply for these, then again your school probably won't be taken into account as you've met their requirements anyway.

Try asking/PMing Pencil Queen, she knows about this kind of thing!
Xulfer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm also doing my AS at a respectable all boys grammar 6th form, and use words like "scally". Maybe it's the same place?

-=X=-
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by England2004)
Hey im currently doing my AS levels at a quite respectable all boys grammar sixith form.
I moved there from my more funnier and more scocial mixed high school, you all know what i mean where all your mates were from familys with mercs etc.
However the school i'm at now is like that and i always felt having something more than the most of them as they would have no clue on 'street' i'm no gangster but you know what i mean when people who have been shielded from people comming into school looking for fights etc and the majority of those ending year 11 just go into work.

Thanks!
You don't happen to be from Wyhtenshure and go to St Bedes by any chance do you? . I wouldn't worry too much about where you are from, if a university is snobby because of that then they are not worth bothering with anyway.

My mums from Wythenshare and all of her family (assuming this where you're from, I am guessing it since thats the biggest council estate in Europe) all them have gone to do very well.
Cellardore
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I used to go to Catholic comprehensive and i found that there were alot of down to earth people there, at Dane Court (Grammar School) there seems to be alot of people up their own arse, lol. Mind you, you don't get any bullies or anything....
England2005
Report 14 years ago
No its not St Beades, nothing is wrong with Wythenshaw i'm not ****ging it off, most of my mates from my old school are from there, im just wondering wether Uni's will be annoyed or in favour because of this?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by England2005)
No its not St Beades, nothing is wrong with Wythenshaw i'm not ****ging it off, most of my mates from my old school are from there, im just wondering wether Uni's will be annoyed or in favour because of this?
My guess it will be neither to be honest, its not worth worrying about, I went to Ducie and nobody seems to care.
England2005
Report 14 years ago
I've been told they have 2 accept x amount from disadvantage backgrounds so hopefully luckily for me that will work in my favour
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (53)
98.15%
No (1)
1.85%

Watched Threads