The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham Engineering Reading List

Hi Guys, I am holding an Unconditional for 2016/17 (Deferred) to do M3 Engineering and would really like to get a bit of a jump on the course given that I will have been out of school for a year.
Does anyone know of either an official reading list or a list of textbooks commonly used in first year?
Any info would be great,
Thanks
Sam
Original post by s101a101m
Hi Guys, I am holding an Unconditional for 2016/17 (Deferred) to do M3 Engineering and would really like to get a bit of a jump on the course given that I will have been out of school for a year.
Does anyone know of either an official reading list or a list of textbooks commonly used in first year?
Any info would be great,
Thanks
Sam

Keep your maths and physics ticking over and it'll be fine. If you didn't take further maths at A-level, then I recommend looking at that first of all, as the course is rather heavy on maths.

Glyn James is always recommended for students taking engineering. As is K.A. Stroud. These cover mathematics for engineers.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Much obligied, I took FM so will just keep re reading my notes :smile:
Reply 3
Just started my first year doing Mech Eng ...I've bought four so far on the advice of lecturers, although we're not expected to read them all cover to cover. They're for extra reading and we're often given a few pages to look at as we cover certain topics in a lecture.

Richard Brooks and 2 more
An Introduction to Mechanical Engineering: Part 1: Pt. 1

Michael Clifford
An Introduction to Mechanical Engineering: Part 2: Pt. 2

Russell C. Hibbeler
Mechanics of Materials

Russell C. Hibbeler
Engineering Mechanics: Statics

Another thing you could do to get ahead would be to start looking at Matlab (there's links online via MathWorks I think).

Congrats on your place at Nottingham...I'm so glad I chose to come here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Defizzed
Just started my first year doing Mech Eng ...I've bought four so far on the advice of lecturers, although we're not expected to read them all cover to cover. They're for extra reading and we're often given a few pages to look at as we cover certain topics in a lecture.

Richard Brooks and 2 more
An Introduction to Mechanical Engineering: Part 1: Pt. 1

Michael Clifford
An Introduction to Mechanical Engineering: Part 2: Pt. 2

Russell C. Hibbeler
Mechanics of Materials

Russell C. Hibbeler
Engineering Mechanics: Statics

Another thing you could do to get ahead would be to start looking at Matlab (there's links online via MathWorks I think).

Congrats on your place at Nottingham...I'm so glad I chose to come here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, much obliged, just got back from some months travelling and working so looking to get stuck in now!
Glad to hear that it's a good place to be, I can't wait to start!
Reply 5
I firmed an unconditional offer for Chemical engineering. Anyone have any good books or advice to help ease the transition from Alevels into university?
Original post by TJM_786
I firmed an unconditional offer for Chemical engineering. Anyone have any good books or advice to help ease the transition from Alevels into university?

Same here man, I asked the people at the ChemEng department and they said that you should just be up to scratch with A2 Chemistry and Physics. I dropped Physics at A2 but I've had a look at it and it's a lot more nicer than the circuits bs at AS.
Reply 7
Original post by Ned Stark
Same here man, I asked the people at the ChemEng department and they said that you should just be up to scratch with A2 Chemistry and Physics. I dropped Physics at A2 but I've had a look at it and it's a lot more nicer than the circuits bs at AS.

Thanks bro, I guess I'll try to get myself up to scratch with Alevel physics then. I haven't done physics at AS or A2.
Original post by TJM_786
Thanks bro, I guess I'll try to get myself up to scratch with Alevel physics then. I haven't done physics at AS or A2.

Best of luck mate. Just a warning, Module 2 of AS is one of the most infuriating things I've seen

Look forward to seeing you at uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending