No one to live with second year of uni?? Watch

lachachacha
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I know people will start talking about this soon, and I'm starting to panic as although I've made friends, I haven't made any close friends .

My flat mates are nice but I can't imagine they will ask me if I want to live with them next year.

Also, what happens if you get a new boyfriend or girlfriend in the second term ? Can you change your arrangements ?
lledrith
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldn't rush to move in with a new girlfriend/boyfriend, since it might not last and you're likely to get fed up with each other living under the same roof constantly and so soon.

Im aware of cases where it has worked out, but generally speaking it's ill-advised.

Why don't you ask your flatmates what their plans are?
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't rush. Wait a bit and decide who YOU want to live with then ask them. If you don't find anyone you just spend another year in halls, it's not the end of the world. Don't move in with a boyfriend/girlfriend when you've only been dating a few months, that is a terrible idea, you can't get out of these contracts for 12 months so if anything goes wrong you will just be stuck there.
username457532
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You've only been at uni for a maximum of a month. You shouldn't be thinking about this yet.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lachachacha)
I know people will start talking about this soon, and I'm starting to panic as although I've made friends, I haven't made any close friends .

My flat mates are nice but I can't imagine they will ask me if I want to live with them next year.

Also, what happens if you get a new boyfriend or girlfriend in the second term ? Can you change your arrangements ?
Don't worry about it yet. People won't talk about it for at least another month and even then they are thinking too early and a lot can happen in that time. It's still possible to get a good house in January in most places. It's difficult to change arrangements as you have to find a replacement once you've signed a contract. It can also make things very awkward for you and other house mates if you and your boyfriend/girlfriend were to break up mid year. So best to live apart and just spend nights at each others.
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SmallTownGirl)
You've only been at uni for a maximum of a month. You shouldn't be thinking about this yet.
It really depends. Housing in some areas is very competitive, especially if you want a decent house at a decent price and in a good area. In first year we signed for our second year house in December, and that was a late rush. We were one of the last people to sign. If you sign late you could end up with the crappy left overs...know someone who ended up in one of those. Mold ridden hell hole it was.

At OP. Don't stress to much about it. Just casually bring it up with people what they think they'll be doing for 2nd year housing. Chances are someone will invite you into the fold. If not you could ask people if they'd like to live with you. And if worst comes to worst you can either go with halls again or post an ad saying you're looking for someone to live with in 2nd year. Trust me, you'll always find a place.

I also agree with the others in that rushing to move in with a new partner is generally not a good idea. It's all rainbows and daisy's in the beginning. But we all know most relationships fail, and it can get ugly. Don't put yourself though that unless you know you can deal with it.
username457532
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SophieSmall)
It really depends. Housing in some areas is very competitive, especially if you want a decent house at a decent price and in a good area. In first year we signed for our second year house in December, and that was a late rush. We were one of the last people to sign. If you sign late you could end up with the crappy left overs...know someone who ended up in one of those. Mold ridden hell hole it was.

At OP. Don't stress to much about it. Just casually bring it up with people what they think they'll be doing for 2nd year housing. Chances are someone will invite you into the fold. If not you could ask people if they'd like to live with you. And if worst comes to worst you can either go with halls again or post an ad saying you're looking for someone to live with in 2nd year. Trust me, you'll always find a place.
These rushes are often caused by the letting agencies who want to panic students into signing contracts for poor-quality houses that they can then not get out of.
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SmallTownGirl)
These rushes are often caused by the letting agencies who want to panic students into signing contracts for poor-quality houses that they can then not get out of.
Nope, everyone we know went through the official student housing channel. No dodgy letting agents.
The reason it was a rush is because there aren't very many cheap houses close to the city centre, an the longer you wait the further out from the city you get.
carlos10000
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Its always a good idea to share with people with knowledge of plumbing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (135)
48.21%
No (37)
13.21%
I'm not old enough (108)
38.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed