Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering what the 1st week at Leeds is gonna be like? Any information will do

ReputationRep:
    Me too! In my country we don't have anything of the kind. So please guys who are in Leeds already, give us some info on what we should expect!

ReputationRep:
    i'd like to know aswell

ReputationRep:
    I really need to know when you're meant to arrive in Leeds for the freshers week, it doesnt say on their website just when the teaching starts

ReputationRep:
    Ok, you'll get all the information through from the uni at the end of August once all the places have been confirmed etc, but I'll tell you what I can now.

Teaching officially starts on 22nd September, which is a Wednesday. You will be expected to arrive in Leeds the weekend before (18th-19th). This may vary for international students, I'm not really sure. You'll move into your new accomodation and meet all your new flatmates and probably go for a few quiet drinks in the nearest bar.

You'll have been sent all the information about Freshers week before you arrive in Leeds, including information about organised events and information from your department about registration. You wil be expected to go into uni on either the monday or the tuesday (depending on departments) for a welcome meeting with your department. Here they'll give you all the information you need for registration and they may also organise some get to know you events (maths made us do a test, how mean!) You'll be expected to go away and fill in your registration documents and return on the appropriate day to register (its usually sciences on the tuesday and wednesday and Arts Thursday and Friday) Wear comfortable shoes to registration, you'll have to queue for a very long time! Its a complete farce but its the only way it can really be done.

You'll also have an appointment to register with the medical centre. They'll ask you a couple of questions and offer you a flu jab and a meningitis jab if you haven't already had one (both quite advisable, you WILL come down with Freshers flu within the first few weeks!)

Thats pretty much all the serious stuff, the rest of the time will probably be spent drinking and shopping to pick up all the things you forgot! The union organises lots of events during Freshers week (go to http://www.introweek.com on a month or so and they should have the details for this year up) The events are usually a couple of mediocre bands (I saw So Solid Crew in my freshers week, but they'd only just started up so the only song we knew was 21 Seconds!), a few of the latest Big Brother evictees, or someone like Timmy Mallett! They tend to book the bigger names for the Freshers Ball which is usually a week or so later.

All the clubs in town will be offering special Freshers week nights with really cheap drinks to get you into their clubs so hopefully you'll go back again. Everywhere will be really busy, but you can meet loads of people.

A few bits of advice for Freshers week:
    * Get at least one set of passport photos before you arrive. You need loads and the queues are always really long
    * Try to get to registration early, the queues aren't as long and your more likely to get your first choice elective.
    * Leave early to get to places. The uni is very big and you'll probably get lost.
    I can't think of anything else at the minute but I'll answer any more questions you might have.

ReputationRep:
    freshers ball is it like formal - dress n all that? oooooooh i'm getting all excited hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    freshers ball is it like formal - dress n all that? oooooooh i'm getting all excited hehe
    Kind of, it was quite bizarre, there were some poeple who got really dressed up, in full ball gowns etc, and some people dressed as they would for any other club. Theres no sit down meal or anything, but lots of dancing, and if I remember right, there was like a circus area with people on stilts etc, and a games area, all sorts of things. It'll all depend what they organise for this year, which will be announced on the website eventually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Kind of, it was quite bizarre, there were some poeple who got really dressed up, in full ball gowns etc, and some people dressed as they would for any other club. Theres no sit down meal or anything, but lots of dancing, and if I remember right, there was like a circus area with people on stilts etc, and a games area, all sorts of things. It'll all depend what they organise for this year, which will be announced on the website eventually
    ok, cool thanks

ReputationRep:
    ooooo excitement! thanks for the info!

damn booked my driving test for the 20th sept because it was the earliest they had... so i god whos when ill be able to do it!

ReputationRep:
    Am actually really looking forward to it. Will prob feel a little more daunting the closer it gets tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-blay)
    Am actually really looking forward to it. Will prob feel a little more daunting the closer it gets tho.
    what u gonna be studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-blay)
    I'm not, all this talk is starting to scare me.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously cannot wait - I just want to get my exams over and done with so I can start in September.

Thank you Ditzy Blonde for all the info you've been a great help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    what u gonna be studying?
    Religious Studies and Theology......odd to some possibly. Really cant wait, i love leeds its gonna b wicked.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had a freshers week in leeds, but i do have three years worth of freshers week at my last uni in Hull, along with unoffically fresher weeks, which i ran personally (although they resulted in two students hospitalised for stomach pumps, numerous people sleeping with one another and some very bad hangovers for the first years).

Nationwide Fresher weeks in short result in:

Making the friends you'll probably keep for life.

As vulgar as it sounds you more than likely will end up in bed with someone so make sure you have condoms, universitys usually hand them out.

You'll get drunk alot!

You'll wake up drunk, so know worry of hangovers

Spend a alot of money, but thats what your loan is for (i think).

Your liver will turn black, but don't worry it'll turn a lovely shade of gay after.

And you'll have the time of your life!

My question do post-grads get to join in on the fun?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jet-Black)
    I haven't had a freshers week in leeds, but i do have three years worth of freshers week at my last uni in Hull, along with unoffically fresher weeks, which i ran personally (although they resulted in two students hospitalised for stomach pumps, numerous people sleeping with one another and some very bad hangovers for the first years).

Nationwide Fresher weeks in short result in:

Making the friends you'll probably keep for life.

As vulgar as it sounds you more than likely will end up in bed with someone so make sure you have condoms, universitys usually hand them out.

You'll get drunk alot!

You'll wake up drunk, so know worry of hangovers

Spend a alot of money, but thats what your loan is for (i think).

Your liver will turn black, but don't worry it'll turn a lovely shade of gay after.

And you'll have the time of your life!

My question do post-grads get to join in on the fun?
    Sounds good to me

ReputationRep:
    I have to say that pretty much everyone i know generally agree's that freshers week was definatly NOT the best week of their life! I really hate the way everyone goes on about how great it is.....i'm reeeeaaaalllly looking forward to it this year (i'm going into my second year) and can't wait to take advantage of all the cheap drinks offers, events and all the freebies and stuff like that BUT.....although it is fun for first years and you do meet lots of new people and do lots of new things (which is all great) going out lots with people you don't really know, in a city/place that you don't really know with all the stress of thinking that you need to meet your friends for life NOW or you'll be friendless forever (as it can seem when you read all this stuff about how everyone did this) really doesn't make a great base for the BEST week of your life....its a good week and is great fun but it can also be daunting and despite having lots of people around you all the time it is still very easy to feel lonely and people shouldn't pretend this isn't also true!
    I'm not trying to put anyone off i'm just trying to be realistic, i was talking to some uni friends a while ago about 'what they wish someone had told them before they came' and we all agreed that it would have been nice to know that no-one was really having such an amazing time as it was made out and that what we were feeling was normal and that we weren't all complete freaks for feeling a bit lost at times!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woox)
    I have to say that pretty much everyone i know generally agree's that freshers week was definatly NOT the best week of their life!
    Bit of an over-statement 'best week of students lives'. I agree actually freshers week is alot more fun in the second year & Third year, mostly because the area is familiar.

Nevertheless, after so many weeks of summer jobs, part-time jobs and parents nagging: freshers week is a relief to the system.

Does anyone know when the boring forms for registration come through the post?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.