Critical Evaluation of articles

Watch
ZLS77
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,
I'm just wondering does anyone have any examples of what a good critical evaluation of an artical looks like - particularly Psychology related?Many thanks,Z
ZLS77
Rep:
?
Hi all,

Has anyone got an example of what a good critical evaluation of an article looks like?

Many thanks!
Z
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you asking us to do your homework for you?
ZLS77
Rep:
?
No - I prefer to own my own credit - just curious as after 15 years returning to study would be keen to see an example of a good one
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It depends on what people who are marking you are looking for in a critical evaluation. Check with your tutors about what they expect. Ideally you want to talk about what the authors have set out to do, have they met their objectives, have they made reasonable conclusions, have they used appropriate methods and how does their work add to the literature.
Jantaculum
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ZLS77)
No - I prefer to own my own credit - just curious as after 15 years returning to study would be keen to see an example of a good one
good for you!

To add to the above:
does the evidence presented warrant the claims made?
does the author have any bias (e.g. employers, political influences) that might affect their conclusions?
was the article written for a particular audience (i.e. is it in a professional journal or a peer-reviewed journal) that might influence the findings they choose to present?

Also - have a look at the references cited in the article - has the author chosen quotes that reflect the reference, or have they 'cherry picked' a quote to support their own argument that might not be quite what the original author intended.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
4.27%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (19)
16.24%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (21)
17.95%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (15)
12.82%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (36)
30.77%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (21)
17.95%

Watched Threads