sillyjai
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello folks. I recently dropped out of university, and I'm currently looking into a job in the Education and Teaching department. I was studying an art related subject at unviersity and I dropped out because it isn't what I thought it'd be. I didn't enjoy it and didn't think it was worth the massive amount of debt that I was going to be in for mojority of my life.

Therefore, I thought I'd go into Education and Teaching. I'd LOVE to become a Teachers Assistant/Nursery Assistant. I enjoy being with children, and I enjoy helping them! It'd mean the world to me if I just got a job working in one of those fields.

I have completed secondary school, as well as college. I speak English as well as Turkish. But, I don't have any Childcare qualifications. However, I do have experience with children, as I have looked after my sisters children, as well as babysat for some family members.

I tried looking at several websites, but mojority want a qualified (childcare qualifications) employee while others are too far and will take a long time to commute.

Is there any apprenticeships? or any other ways to be a Teachers Assistant/Nursery Assistant?

It'll be really helpful if you reply back! Thank you! (sorry if this thread is too long)
Pixsoul
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sillyjai)
Hello folks. I recently dropped out of university, and I'm currently looking into a job in the Education and Teaching department. I was studying an art related subject at unviersity and I dropped out because it isn't what I thought it'd be. I didn't enjoy it and didn't think it was worth the massive amount of debt that I was going to be in for mojority of my life.

Therefore, I thought I'd go into Education and Teaching. I'd LOVE to become a Teachers Assistant/Nursery Assistant. I enjoy being with children, and I enjoy helping them! It'd mean the world to me if I just got a job working in one of those fields.

I have completed secondary school, as well as college. I speak English as well as Turkish. But, I don't have any Childcare qualifications. However, I do have experience with children, as I have looked after my sisters children, as well as babysat for some family members.

I tried looking at several websites, but mojority want a qualified (childcare qualifications) employee while others are too far and will take a long time to commute.

Is there any apprenticeships? or any other ways to be a Teachers Assistant/Nursery Assistant?

It'll be really helpful if you reply back! Thank you! (sorry if this thread is too long)
Have a look at the Level 3 Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools (QCF) qualifications - there is an Award which is 4 units and is knowledge-based, or a Certificate which is 11 units and requires you to complete a minimum of 50 hours in a school setting.

Both are recognised by schools.

The level 3 award is generally a good starting point and can be completed pretty quick if you have the time to write your work. It would at least give you a relevant qualification to strengthen a job application, and a lot of schools would look at supporting you to complete the level 3 certificate if they wanted you to have further qualifications in the area.

That being said, some schools will employ TAs on experience alone, as it's not like teaching where you must be qualified to a specific level / have a specific set of qualifications.

Good luck
RaymanJayy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sillyjai)

Hey! I personally did a Level 3 CACHE Diploma in Childcare and Education, while doing this we had placements within schools and nurseries, but If I was you I would look into NVQ Level 3 apprenticeships in Nurserys ( you get paid, gain experience and get qualified as you learn on the job), After you have completed this course you can apply for Teaching Assistant vacancies, but these are extremely competitive and generally have applicants with a broad range of experience from already having a teaching assistant job in the past.

So you would have to build up your experience for this, with these courses depending on the grades you get, you could also progress and go to university and study a Bachelor of Honours in Education or something similar like Childhood studies, and then do a one year PGCE and become a qualified teacher!

hope that helps, if not sorry haha.

Rayman
happy daisy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you are interested in childcare, believe me you
Will enjoy it a lot....
LottieRuth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Any tips on how to get a teaching qualification for primary school age? I have recently started homeschooling my two boys and would like to support my skills with a teaching qualification in this area. Thanks :-)
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LottieRuth)
Any tips on how to get a teaching qualification for primary school age? I have recently started homeschooling my two boys and would like to support my skills with a teaching qualification in this area. Thanks :-)
To be a primary school teacher you will need either a BEd in Primary Education with QTS or any undergraduate degree and a PGCE.

If its a teaching assistant you want to be then any relavent level 3 qualification is fine
LottieRuth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
To be a primary school teacher you will need either a BEd in Primary Education with QTS or any undergraduate degree and a PGCE.

If its a teaching assistant you want to be then any relavent level 3 qualification is fine

Great, thank you :-) I'll look into this!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.23%
I'm not sure (8)
2.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.11%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.32%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.7%

Watched Threads