Greatest documentary ever made

Watch
SignFromDog
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I thought I'd post this section of what I think is probably the greatest documentary ever made. It's Ken Burns' Civil War; it's a ten-episode documentary made in 1990 about the American Civil War.

Burns very effectively uses photographs, diary entries read by actors, music and some sparing use of experts, to portray the American Civil War. It's very notable in that at the time of the Civil War, the 1860s, photography really was in its infancy but Americans were avid users of it. It's almost like your perception of the mid-19th century is from paintings, so to see photographs of that period is amazingly interesting.

If you're a history buff you will probably love this documentary, widely considered to be perhaps the best ever made. It's not at all a dry rendition of the past, parts of it are quite funny and some are deeply moving; there's one part (recounting a letter a soldier writes to his wife) that made me choke up when I watched it (then again, maybe I'm a pussy). It's hard to explain all the reasons why it's so brilliant so I'll just post this youtube video of two parts of the first episode.

Btw, you can full-screen it by clicking the little YouTube button in the bottom right corner next to the full-screen button (apparently it won't full-screen embedded videos)
SignFromDog
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I thought I'd add one more section (one of the battle scenes) to give some sense of the different aspects of the documentary.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.53%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (545)
48.57%

Watched Threads