FlyingBird
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I want to study psychology at uni but am struggling to decide whether to apply for bath(ranked second best for psychology in the uk) or a Russell University such as Bristol (ranked 9th), Glasgow (5th) or Durham (6th). Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
vindruvor
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Go for the one that is better in YOUR SUBJECT
AmyPilot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Go for the uni you personally prefer and feel suits you best! Reputation is important but it isn't everything
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by FlyingBird)
So I want to study psychology at uni but am struggling to decide whether to apply for bath(ranked second best for psychology in the uk) or a Russell University such as Bristol (ranked 9th), Glasgow (5th) or Durham (6th). Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
As above. There is no such thing as an official ranking. There are several organisations which rank universities according to various criteria, some of which are objective and some of which are subjective; the publishing organisation then mixes these criteria together in whatever proportions it wants to produce a final figure. All such rankings have their own inherent flaws and can therefore only give a broad brush definition.

Also note that the Russell Group is a lobby group for research-led universities - members have to pay to join. While all RG unis are good, not all good unis are in the RG.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
ignore league tables and the Russell Group. Bath is as good as an rg university. go where you will be happiest. Do you want a small or large city, a city centre uni or a campus uni outside the city. look at the course which suits you best.

When you have decided where YOU like best go there. Every person may decide differently.
peanutbutterjam
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bath is a very good uni, even better than some russell groups imo. Go to a uni where you'll be happy at for three/four years.
ombtom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Go for the one you prefer, regardless of the Russell Group. As far as I know, going to a Russell Group university means virtually nothing for an undergraduate, and there are many non-members of the Russell Group that are much better than some members, e.g. St Andrews, Surrey, and Bath.

Remember that each ranking table shows the universities in slightly different places (especially the Guardian's, as it gives more weight to things like student satisfaction), so a difference in ranking of less than 10 is usually quite negligible.

On the other hand, you should go for the uni that's better for your subject; Cambridge isn't the best for everything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (20)
29.85%
No - I have already returned home (8)
11.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (13)
19.4%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (5)
7.46%
No - I live at home during term anyway (21)
31.34%

Watched Threads