Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

gap years - last minute? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i just decided i wouuld really like to go on a gap year after my exams this year
    i was reading that lots of people decide to go on last minute gap years but on most of the sites i look on it seems too late to apply!!

do you think its too late?

do you know where i can find any last minute gap years?

i found bunac where you can apply 8 weeks before you go and go to canada, im just a bit scared of going on that because you have find a job and place to live yourself and i would be all on my own (when other gap yrs often organise it for you)

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely not too late to apply for any gap year schemes. I also decided to take a gap year at the last minute, after I got my A level results, and I found this site that had a kind of gap year 'clearing'. I'm afraid I can't remember the website, but it had a long list of loads of things you could do, like counting turtles in the Carribean and also hotel and bar jobs being advertised in places like New Zealand (but you might need a work permit for these). Sorry I can't give precise details, but rest assured there are still loads of gap year options available!

ReputationRep:
    And don't forget that you don't have to go on some organised scheme!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm on a gap year at the moment, didnt decide on it until late August last year but things turned out alright. A few of my mates did the same. One lad worked until January and then flew out to South America, he's still there and every time I talk to him it sounds like he's having the time of his life. Plenty of my mates in college wish they had done the same. Go and see some of the world is my advice, it'll be good for ya

Ask edders (hes a mod 'ere)....*i think* he only decided he wanted a gap AFTER he got his Alev results, so he might be able to show you osme schemes like the ones hes on, that might accept late apps.

ReputationRep:
    I've only recently applied and been accepted to do a gap year through www.gap.org.uk. There are plenty of spaces left at the moment. Not sure how late u can apply, but I'm pretty sure you could get on now. Have a look, it's a very good company!

And good luck to you! Us gappers should start up a UKL Gap Society, so we could all discuss and plan our gap years together.

ReputationRep:
    If you're interested in learning to scuba dive & marine research theres a company called blue ventures who you can go on last minute. They have a website.

ReputationRep:
    Check this site out too, if you think you might be interested in going to other countries to teach or help, whatever.

http://www.teaching-abroad.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    Australia is where id really like to go but you need £2000 in your bank account!!! :eek:
    i wish i was rich!

well back to revision lol

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.