The Student Room Group

Biochemistry or biomedical sciences? What's easier and what's better?

Hi scientists!
I'm in year 12 right now (redoing the course) doing biology chemistry maths (A2 as well) and A2 Spanish. I'd like to do biochemistry or biomedical science at uni but I'd like to know what's going to give me a better job, in terms of money and position. I want to create medicine in a lab or come up with new cures for health problems.

Thank you for reading and answering
Original post by Yasmine Grizel
Hi scientists!
I'm in year 12 right now (redoing the course) doing biology chemistry maths (A2 as well) and A2 Spanish. I'd like to do biochemistry or biomedical science at uni but I'd like to know what's going to give me a better job, in terms of money and position. I want to create medicine in a lab or come up with new cures for health problems.

There are lots of opinions in this thread

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2962619
There's no difference between the two in terms of job prospects. Both have very similar modules and options to choose modules. Pick the one that interests you most. Please don't go into science for the money as it's a tough and demanding field which won't be rewarding unless you really love the subject.
Original post by alleycat393
There's no difference between the two in terms of job prospects. Both have very similar modules and options to choose modules. Pick the one that interests you most. Please don't go into science for the money as it's a tough and demanding field which won't be rewarding unless you really love the subject.

Thanks for answering.
I Actually love science and maths sooo much, they're my favourite subjects don't get me wrong, but I need to know which degree is going to provide me more jobs in the future and if it's worth the effort of studying it.
Like I said before, job prospects for both are similar as they are for pretty much any life sciences degree.
Reply 5
Hey!
I'm studying biochemistry at the moment. One of my friends is in all my lectures and she is majoring in Biological sciences! In my university, the only difference between the two courses is that with biochemistry, you only get to choose four optional modules which can be science related or completely out of the world (as long as it doesn't clash with your compulsory modules). The Biological scientists, however, only have three compulsory modules - all of which are skills modules (so they have to do them). In the end, a biological scientist - in my uni at least - could have done all the same modules as me.

When it comes to jobs, it's all about your skills and experience - the more lab exposure you have, the more marketable you get. Hence, masters and pHD holders being paid more. Work out what you want and build your cv towards it.
Reply 6
medicinal chemistry is more about making medicines though...

might wanna check that out
Original post by maameb
Hey!
I'm studying biochemistry at the moment. One of my friends is in all my lectures and she is majoring in Biological sciences! In my university, the only difference between the two courses is that with biochemistry, you only get to choose four optional modules which can be science related or completely out of the world (as long as it doesn't clash with your compulsory modules). The Biological scientists, however, only have three compulsory modules - all of which are skills modules (so they have to do them). In the end, a biological scientist - in my uni at least - could have done all the same modules as me.

When it comes to jobs, it's all about your skills and experience - the more lab exposure you have, the more marketable you get. Hence, masters and pHD holders being paid more. Work out what you want and build your cv towards it.

Hi, thanks for answering.

Since you're studying biochemistry could you tell me how are you finding it please? Like is it way harder than you expected it to be or ...?
Original post by z33
medicinal chemistry is more about making medicines though...

might wanna check that out

Ohh thanks for that!
I'll check it out :smile:
Reply 9
Ohh thanks for that!
I'll check it out :smile:

no problemo :biggrin:
Reply 10
Hi, thanks for answering.

Since you're studying biochemistry could you tell me how are you finding it please? Like is it way harder than you expected it to be or ...?

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply. I have three hours of lectures per week for three modules for the first four weeks of the term. This is followed by a set of exams and courseworks in the fifth week. I also have about three hours of labs in each module every other week. There are three hours of workshops for each of the modules per week on top of that. The "labless" week has the lab slots replaced by workshops to discuss the results of the lab sessions.

I don't think it is harder in terms of the content. However, there is a lot of material to read and assimilate in order to follow the lectures. If you are organised then you will be fine! if not then you will definitely feel overwhelmed and stressed out and that is never a good place to be.
BUT, my advice is that you enjoy whatever you do and take it in your stride. It can be difficult to deliver when you don't like what you do. All the best and if you've got any questions just feel free to pm me or ask on here.
Hi scientists!

You want to make medicines and find cures for diseases? Those are very high expectations of what you want to achieve!I studied Biomedical Sciences and now just finishing a PhD in Pharmacology, Toxicology and Pharmacy. This is probably the route you want to be taking (undergrad degree doesn't matter too much; do Biomed, Biochem, Pharmacology, Med Chem etc). You will probably need a PhD if you want to actually have a chance of doing what you want to do. (My research is both researching a panel of new drugs to combat antibiotic resistance and cardiovascular disease).Feel free to message me or reply to this if you want to know more :smile:
Original post by maameb
Hey!

Hi is it fine if I ask you what university you go to, as I am also looking forward to doing Biochemistry? :colondollar:
Both would allow you to achieve what you want to.
There will be differences in the course content, with biochemistry probably having a narrower focus and biomedical focused on disease/human biology. There will also be plenty of overlap, particularly early on in the degree. Many universities allow students to easily transfer from one bioscience course to another, often at the end of first year. Don't feel that you have to make the final decision before you go.
Reply 14
Original post by Sunshine98
Hi is it fine if I ask you what university you go to, as I am also looking forward to doing Biochemistry? :colondollar:

Yeah, of course! I'm at Lancaster university. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending