Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast....ap/index.html

What are your views? Should she be sacked?

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast....ap/index.html

What are your views? Should she be sacked?
    nah, it worked and did no harm. punishments are meant to be unpleasant to prevent reoffending and this appears to have done very nicely.

ReputationRep:
    Yes because if you allow this where do draw the line. It is not the job of the teacher to physically dicipline the child.

ReputationRep:
    hehehe my mum did that to my brother when he was little, deserved it the little hoodlum, but still the teacher was out of order, didn't have the right to do that i don't think.

ReputationRep:
    OMG you Liberals make no sense you complain at me for wanting the death penalty for rapist and peadophiles yet you are quite happy for an 10 year old to be forced in school to have his mouth washed out with soap ?

The teacher should be given a serious fine and i wouldnt like her reterning to teaching anytime soon.
    i remember an case about a year ago when a South African teacher in the uk tied a child to a chair with rope?
    I'm all for discipline but come on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by England2004)
    OMG you Liberals make no sense you complain at me for wanting the death penalty for rapist and peadophiles yet you are quite happy for an 10 year old to be forced in school to have his mouth washed out with soap ?

The teacher should be given a serious fine and i wouldnt like her reterning to teaching anytime soon.
    i remember an case about a year ago when a South African teacher in the uk tied a child to a chair with rope?
    I'm all for discipline but come on
    I am getting teh feeling that the world Liberal has a different meaning for every person. I considder myself Liberal and well, lets just quote the manifesto of a party I happen to be a member of:

My freedom ends where your freedom begin. People are free to make their own decisions as long as it does not limit the freedom of others.

Basicly, Liberalism is about leaving people do make their own choices as long as it doesnt hurt others. In this case the teacher's actions was a serious violation of the childs rights and as such the teacher should be sacked, or at least forced to pay a hefty fine. Suspension is the very minimum acceptable here.

ReputationRep:
    I'm having the strangest feeling!
    So this is what its like when people agree with you?

ReputationRep:
    My parents have washed my mouth out many times. It is an effective way to stop a unruly tongue. It causes no harm, even if the soap is swallowed. The boy learned his leason, at least temporarily. What is the problem with this? No harm was done. The story didn't even say that his guardians objected to this treatment. If I was the parent I would ask that the teacher be given a raise.

ReputationRep:
    I'm having the strangest feeling!
    So this is what its like when people agree with you?
    Judging from the rest of your threads the only reason you beleive that we agree is that you failed to understand what I wrote. My last post applies to Muslims as well you know...

ReputationRep:
    i agree the parents are allowed to discipline there child it is no position for the school to do so.
    If a teacher had tried to do that to me i would have defended myself and i would well within my rights.
    What do you mean lol lesson? hes 10 anything he has in his composition is there! and a 10 year old come on i dont think a 10 year old can be that bad in class as compared to a bunch of 14 -16 year olds!

ReputationRep:
    i agree the parents are allowed to discipline there child it is no position for the school to do so.
    If a teacher had tried to do that to me i would have defended myself and i would well within my rights.
    What do you mean lol lesson? hes 10 anything he has in his composition is there! and a 10 year old come on i dont think a 10 year old can be that bad in class as compared to a bunch of 14 -16 year olds!
    Some 10 year olds have delveloped quite a good bad vocabulary. His lesson was that he shouldn't shout or say obscenities.

ReputationRep:
    lol do u think that would stop him saying it again? seriously!

ReputationRep:
    lol do u think that would stop him saying it again? seriously!
    Repettative use would. Seriously, soap tastes horrible. What's really bad is when you try to wash it out with water. But if you want even worse, try washing it out with red kool aid. That stuff is horrible, yet it causes no damage.

ReputationRep:
    Embaracement works best not shock horror tactics

ReputationRep:
    Embaracement works best not shock horror tactics
    Which is why school classes are so well behaved these days in comparison to the days of corporal punishment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Which is why school classes are so well behaved these days in comparison to the days of corporal punishment.
    What proof do you have of this being the case?

I think instances such as teachers washing childrens' mouths out and the recent case of a nursery nurse taping up a child's mouth with sellotape are just plain abuses of power. If they did that to my child (should I ever have one) I would pursue litigation - it is not the role of teachers to use heavy-handed means in disciplining children.

ReputationRep:
    Suspension at least, allowing this teacher to continue without a noticable punishment gives the impression its a acceptable punishment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    What proof do you have of this being the case?

I think instances such as teachers washing childrens' mouths out and the recent case of a nursery nurse taping up a child's mouth with sellotape are just plain abuses of power. If they did that to my child (should I ever have one) I would pursue litigation - it is not the role of teachers to use heavy-handed means in disciplining children.
    Proof? well none as i was being sarcastic. As to what is or is not the role of a teacher, one thing we can surely agree on is that they are supposed to educate children and if they arent allowed to discipline any of the numerous trouble making little shites that infest practicaly every class then they are severely compromised in their ability to carry out the education of the rest of the school children in their charge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Proof? well none as i was being sarcastic. As to what is or is not the role of a teacher, one thing we can surely agree on is that they are supposed to educate children and if they arent allowed to discipline any of the numerous trouble making little shites that infest practicaly every class then they are severely compromised in their ability to carry out the education of the rest of the school children in their charge.
    Although I can see some sense in what you are saying, I consider washing a child's mouth out to be a wholly disproportionate punishment to the offence. Draconian punishments in the classroom do not belong to the 21st century.

The mental scars which overzealous teachers can leave on pupils can last for a lifetime and severely dent their confidence. I had particularly bad experiences at the hands of a primary school teacher and I didn't want to go to school for ages. Teachers must act with a measure of moderation because humiliation and harsh punishments can destroy children and leave a lasting legacy.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.