The Student Room Group

Exeter or Newcastle?????

Due to my grades and the research I've done, I'm trying to pick my fourth medical school which is either Exeter or Newcastle/Durham.

My UKCAT is 677.5 so not amazing but I think I'm in the 8th decile?

I have to choose between Newcastle ( where the cut off is difficult to predict especially this year after last years massive drop) and Exeter.

I have A*AA achieved so would go into the second tier for Exeter tier 1 is for people with either A*A*A achieved or A*A*A* and above predicted/achieved.

Which would you say is less risky? P.S I don't really care about location or course as they're both miles away. It's just which would I be most likely to get an in interview at?

Thanks guys, really appreciate any constructive help ! :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
You would be almost certain to get an interview at Plymouth with those stats

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by kjfr
You would be almost certain to get an interview at Plymouth with those stats

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plymouth is one of my choices already ahah.

It's choosing between Exeter and Newcastle that's the problem!
Reply 3
Its such a hard decision but judging by the UKCAT deciles this year I would personally go with Newcastle. Exeter really give preference to those with lots of A* predicted or achieved at A level. Its ridiculous how they give preference to someone with predicted A*A*A over someone who has actually achieved A*AA. If you go over to the Exeter thread, you'll see you would be fairly low priority for interview as your A levels put you in their tier 3 out of 4. Good luck with whatever you decide

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by kjfr
Its such a hard decision but judging by the UKCAT deciles this year I would personally go with Newcastle. Exeter really give preference to those with lots of A* predicted or achieved at A level. Its ridiculous how they give preference to someone with predicted A*A*A over someone who has actually achieved A*AA. If you go over to the Exeter thread, you'll see you would be fairly low priority for interview as your A levels put you in their tier 3 out of 4. Good luck with whatever you decide

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there. Yes you are right about preference being given to applicants who offer a lot of A*s however you're incorrect about my tier. I would actually be in tier 2 out of 4 because achieved A levels bumps you up a tier and that me having A*AA achieved does actually put me in the same tier as people who have A*A*A. Now that you have this information, what do you think/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending