Baloney1011
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I see everyone panicking so much about their PS's...

Now I don't know about other universities, but as for Cambridge:

http://www.theguardian.com/education...nal-statements

And Oxford:

http://www.cherwell.org/news/2009/05...nal-statements

And this comes from Oxford's PPE FAQ: "We have the time to interview those applicants that weshortlist and personal statements do not play a significant role in ourshortlisting decisions. We may use your personal statement to inform ourdiscussion at interview, but we do not use its contents to award places as theyare not written under controlled conditions."

I'm pretty sure as long as it doesn't stand out as poorly written, it won't make a difference. At least that's the impression I get for subjects that require the TSA at Oxford. As far as I understand, your performance on the TSA, in that case, is the only thing determining whether you get shortlisted for interview. And then it's just your performance at interview.

Then again I'm just a clueless American. :P Thoughts?
Peroxidation
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oxford and Cambridge are always pretty vague about this, but I would still try to make your personal statement amazing if I were you. Oxford and Cambridge are both really selective so you'll need backup options, and for these the personal statement is one of the most important things.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Different unis view PSs differently so it's best to get your PS to the best possible condition as it's still a part of your application package.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
PSs quite often don't matter at offer stage for many universities/subjects but will be re-examined on results day for any applicants missing their offer conditions.
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
PSs quite often don't matter at offer stage for many universities/subjects but will be re-examined on results day for any applicants missing their offer conditions.
Hi PQ - I have a question. I'm transferring to a different uni next year but technically it's not a transfer because I'll be on year 1 of the course. Do I need to re-write my personal statement if it's for the same course? (I will touch it up of course). I'm okay to use my old one right?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Captivated)
Hi PQ - I have a question. I'm transferring to a different uni next year but technically it's not a transfer because I'll be on year 1 of the course. Do I need to re-write my personal statement if it's for the same course? (I will touch it up of course). I'm okay to use my old one right?
Please don't ask the same question in multiple places. There's no need to PM me because I haven't responded to you within an hour.

If you're at university and want to apply to start again elsewhere then have a look at the transfer FAQ thread.
In summary:
a) you shouldn't be applying this early - it shows that you've started a course at university with no intention of even sticking it out until Christmas. That's very unattractive to other universities.
b) another reason for waiting is to get to know your tutor - ideally your reference should be written by someone at your current university (a tutor, head of year, a lecturer on your favourite module). This way they can provide comment on how you're coped with the transition to university level study
c) a third reason to wait is because if you apply again with no additions or improvements to your PS or your application then you're essentially wasting a year of opportunities. If you can't improve your PS following a semester of studying a subject at university then I'd question whether you should be looking to transfer just university or should be looking to switch course too....and even then you should have more insight into your new subject than you had at 17 before leaving home.

You CAN apply with the same PS and with a reference from your school for a transfer/restart...but it's a wasted opportunity.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Please don't ask the same question in multiple places. There's no need to PM me because I haven't responded to you within an hour.

If you're at university and want to apply to start again elsewhere then have a look at the transfer FAQ thread.
In summary:
a) you shouldn't be applying this early - it shows that you've started a course at university with no intention of even sticking it out until Christmas. That's very unattractive to other universities.
b) another reason for waiting is to get to know your tutor - ideally your reference should be written by someone at your current university (a tutor, head of year, a lecturer on your favourite module). This way they can provide comment on how you're coped with the transition to university level study
c) a third reason to wait is because if you apply again with no additions or improvements to your PS or your application then you're essentially wasting a year of opportunities. If you can't improve your PS following a semester of studying a subject at university then I'd question whether you should be looking to transfer just university or should be looking to switch course too....and even then you should have more insight into your new subject than you had at 17 before leaving home.

You CAN apply with the same PS and with a reference from your school for a transfer/restart...but it's a wasted opportunity.
I didn't quote you because you didn't respond to the pm (I PMed first before I quoted as I remembered that sometimes you don't respond which I understand). An hour isn't a long time to respond, you aren't the only one who is busy. I quoted you because I thought the pm might be lost since I assume you get quite a few.

Thank you for the helpful response anyway, though my circumstances aren't to do with not liking the course. It's very complicated. There wasn't a need to be rude.
Exceptional
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PQ)

In summary:

No need to get your kncickers in a twist because a kind person asks for help - not the best trait for someone who supposedly enjoys helping people to have. You rarely reply to PMs from the people I know who've previously messaged.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Exceptional)
No need to get your kncickers in a twist because a kind person asks for help - not the best trait for someone who supposedly enjoys helping people to have. You rarely reply to PMs from the people I know who've previously messaged.
Yes I rarely reply to PMs unless the question is confidential.

I used to reply asking people to ask publicly so that people with the same question can also see the answer- in fact I still do reply with that message when I'm aware that the PMer hasn't posted their question publicly. But I reserve the right to ignore PMs from people asking a question that I know they've posted and had a response to already. And I reserve the right to ask people not to harass me in multiple places with the same question.

There is a stickied thread on transferring that would have been the best place to ask about transferring. @ ing me in to answer a question about transferring in a thread about PSs is not the best tactic to get a positive answer. Especially not by PMing the same question within an hour.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Yes I rarely reply to PMs unless the question is confidential.

I used to reply asking people to ask publicly so that people with the same question can also see the answer- in fact I still do reply with that message when I'm aware that the PMer hasn't posted their question publicly. But I reserve the right to ignore PMs from people asking a question that I know they've posted and had a response to already. And I reserve the right to ask people not to harass me in multiple places with the same question.

There is a stickied thread on transferring that would have been the best place to ask about transferring. @ ing me in to answer a question about transferring in a thread about PSs is not the best tactic to get a positive answer. Especially not by PMing the same question within an hour.
If you'd have actually read my response to you, you'd know that I PMed you BEFORE I quoted you. Then I realised that you actually don't respond to them often so I thought okay I'll quote you.

'Harrass' is a bit of a strong word to use for describing getting a PM and a quoted message and I'm sure you know that too
Baloney1011
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Stop arguing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.86%
No (500)
66.14%

Watched Threads