The Student Room Group

British expat; am I eligable for home-status fees?

I am a British Citizen, lived in England up until 2009 when I moved to Thailand because my Grandfather on my mother's side (she was born in Indonesia) was very ill and we wanted the family to be near him just in case something happened. My dad is a british citizen as well, lived there his whole life, paid taxes, went to university there etc. When we moved away, we sold our house because it wasn't financially possible for us to keep the house due to the way the market was going at the time, however we are not here in thailand on permanent residence, only on my dads work visa.

We still have a bank account in the UK (which we pay money into regularly and my father pays in order to keep money in there) as well as a storage unit filled with all of our furniture for when we return to the UK (which we pay for yearly), the whole of my father's family still lives in england and we come home every other year and we also have money put into premium bonds.

According to the criteria, I am not eligable for home status because I did not live in the UK for the 3 years immediately prior to applying, however I had no control over this and it was due to personal reasons. We still have ties in england and still pay to upkeep banking, pension, storage and I have a national insurance number.Is there any possibility that with these factors considered I will be eligable for home fees? I know that each situation is individual and it is ultimately up to the university to decide, however I would just like a general opinion on the matter.
If i did not receive home status i would not be able to attend university in the UK and would have to rely upon getting a scholarship to go to university in another country, and that is just very inconvenient at the moment.

Please be honest, and maybe if anyone has any advice please feel free to comment.
Original post by siskagreene
I am a British Citizen, lived in England up until 2009 when I moved to Thailand because my Grandfather on my mother's side (she was born in Indonesia) was very ill and we wanted the family to be near him just in case something happened. My dad is a british citizen as well, lived there his whole life, paid taxes, went to university there etc. When we moved away, we sold our house because it wasn't financially possible for us to keep the house due to the way the market was going at the time, however we are not here in thailand on permanent residence, only on my dads work visa.

We still have a bank account in the UK (which we pay money into regularly and my father pays in order to keep money in there) as well as a storage unit filled with all of our furniture for when we return to the UK (which we pay for yearly), the whole of my father's family still lives in england and we come home every other year and we also have money put into premium bonds.

According to the criteria, I am not eligable for home status because I did not live in the UK for the 3 years immediately prior to applying, however I had no control over this and it was due to personal reasons. We still have ties in england and still pay to upkeep banking, pension, storage and I have a national insurance number.Is there any possibility that with these factors considered I will be eligable for home fees? I know that each situation is individual and it is ultimately up to the university to decide, however I would just like a general opinion on the matter.
If i did not receive home status i would not be able to attend university in the UK and would have to rely upon getting a scholarship to go to university in another country, and that is just very inconvenient at the moment.

Please be honest, and maybe if anyone has any advice please feel free to comment.

It is fair to say that it is very unlikely any university will give you home fee status. However given the UCAS application fee is relatively low, it is worth a punt.

The test is whether your absence was temporary. Given that it has continued for 6 years, that is unlikely.

The fact that you, as a child, had no control over where you lived, is irrelevant,
Reply 2
Original post by nulli tertius
It is fair to say that it is very unlikely any university will give you home fee status. However given the UCAS application fee is relatively low, it is worth a punt.

The test is whether your absence was temporary. Given that it has continued for 6 years, that is unlikely.

The fact that you, as a child, had no control over where you lived, is irrelevant,

Hey thanks for your reply
the reason I was so interested is because I have friends who applied last year to the UK, some of whom never even lived in the UK their entire life, others who have been away for the same time period as me, yet all of them recieved home status and are there studying right now and paying home fees.

And the move technically is temporary since we will be moving back, and we have the storage unit and all of that to prove it; we are not permanent residents in Thailand. The reason it took longer than expected is because my mum had an unplanned pregnancy and we had to stay. I suppose Universities don't really care about this, but if my friends were able to receive home status with similar situations to mine, what is stopping me from recieving it as well?
Original post by siskagreene
Hey thanks for your reply
the reason I was so interested is because I have friends who applied last year to the UK, some of whom never even lived in the UK their entire life, others who have been away for the same time period as me, yet all of them recieved home status and are there studying right now and paying home fees.

And the move technically is temporary since we will be moving back, and we have the storage unit and all of that to prove it; we are not permanent residents in Thailand. The reason it took longer than expected is because my mum had an unplanned pregnancy and we had to stay. I suppose Universities don't really care about this, but if my friends were able to receive home status with similar situations to mine, what is stopping me from recieving it as well?

A diplomatic or military child will always be treated as temporarily absent from their home country. Posted workers paid and taxed through their company's UK head office will normally be so treated. Tax status is not decisive but often highly influential because parents have often claimed a tax status inconsistent with the argument their children are now advancing.
You're going to be a complicated case. Each uni will make it's own assessment, and it's entirely feasible that some will come to one conclusion and others will come to another conclusion - in other words, suck it and see, but have a back up plan.

You may like to contact UKCISA, who are the experts in these things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending