The Student Room Group

Would working at a vet's help me in any way for medicine?

I was thinking of volunteering one hour a week at the local vet's where they do surgery/vaccinations, etc. Would it help me in this way: by working here, I would've already explored another branch of medicine (veterinary medicine), and then choose what kind of medicine I want to do?
Also, how long should I work for for it to be worth anything? I was thinking one hour a week for a month?
Original post by latenightmadness
I was thinking of volunteering one hour a week at the local vet's where they do surgery/vaccinations, etc. Would it help me in this way: by working here, I would've already explored another branch of medicine (veterinary medicine), and then choose what kind of medicine I want to do?
Also, how long should I work for for it to be worth anything? I was thinking one hour a week for a month?

Veterinary medicine is not a branch of medicine.

Work experience is to help you understand the role of a doctor and why you want to be one/why you'd be good at it. Working in a vets, whilst good life experience, is not medical work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
Veterinary medicine is not a branch of medicine.
I like to argue that human medicine is a branch of veterinary medicine :wink:

OP, I've heard of lots of medics doing work at a vet, although I'm inclined to agree that it's not of a huge amount of value if you're dead set on human medicine.

If you're determined to do it still, then one hour a week for a month is probably not going to be enough to give a worthwhile snapshot of the veterinary profession. Doing one full day would be better, as that way you'll be able to see more (most vet practices do morning consults, surgery, then afternoon consults).
Reply 3
I'm not sure how much you could learn that is interchangeable, although I do know of some humans that should be neutered or have a flea collar.
Reply 4
Original post by latenightmadness

Tbh, a good way of spinning it in a PS if you wanted to write about it would be about the people's reactions to loss/trauma and how you responded to that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
other possible ways of spinning it is the importance of non-verbal communication and balancing the need of the patient against that of others (when a pet is suffering and the owner wants to prolong life)

Quick Reply

Latest