M&S Careers team
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone,

Having a punchy to-the-point CV that makes you jump off the page is important, but it’s the cover letter that gives employers a real taste of who you are as a person. We thought you might like to hear our top tips for writing a good cover letter.

1. Have a clear opening line and closing line.There is a rule of thumb here. Your first sentence should state what your reason for writing this letter is and what position you are applying for.

2. Be brief and assertive. We would not recommend you write more than one page. Your tone should be confident but never conceited.

3. Research. Include a sentence or two about what you like about the company and brand. This shows genuine interest and attention-to-detail.

4. Show evidence of your skills. If you can provide examples of times your skills have yielded real life results, whether personal or professional, do speak about it in your cover letter.

5. Show your personality. The cover letter is where an employer gets just a taste of what kind of person you are. Are you committed? A team player? Polite? Speak with your honest voice to accentuate the best of your character.

We hope these help getting started easier. Writing a cover letter isn’t always the most fun thing in the world but when you do it, make sure you commit to writing the best one you can. A poorly written cover letter can ruin even the best CV into the ground.

Let us know what you think or tell us what your experiences have been. Do you have any tips of your own to add? We’d love to hear them!

M&S Careers Team
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (17)
19.54%
I'm not sure (2)
2.3%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (24)
27.59%
I have already dropped out (3)
3.45%
I'm not a current university student (41)
47.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise